Christmas on the Mediterrania

EssexWasp

We normally cruise Carnival..We are thinking about booking for Christmas on this ship..Not sure yet but it seems that it has all that we want esp. Puerto Rico.......Trying to decide about going to Costa or sticking with Carnival:(

Ports of call for this cruise when I booked were Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Honduras, Cozumel. I didn't think we were stopping in Puerto Rico - I hope it hasn't changed.

In Feb 06 were cruised the Carnival Liberty - it was our first experience with Carnival. Overall, I wasn't that impressed. My expectations are that Costa will be a step above Carnival. At least I hope so!

We were on Princess last New Year and didnt care for it much, partly because of the older demographic and partly because the kids club was pants. They claimed to be 'exhausted' after having a full ship during Christmas week and our girls spent 12 days on the club's playstation! We were on the Legend the year before and loved it so fingers crossed for Costa!

Hi MonaCK! We did a huge family cruise in February this year and had a blast! There were close to 50 of us. How many are in your family?

Good luck with your air - I had a difficult time finding reasonable rates. I ended up with a non-stop Boston to Miami for $408. I haven't decided if we'll rent a car or hire a limo from Miami to Ft Lauderdale.

Sophie

It looks like we're going to cash in on a bunch of our frequent flier miles - I'll have to buy like 8K, but as a result it'll only end up costings us $316 instead of close to $1000 for airline tickets.

This is mostly my immediate family - it'll be my husband and I, my parents (I'm an only child), my aunt and her 4 kids, my other aunt, and potentially my inlaws. Small, but fun group :)

We have booked the taxi ladies in Roatan for a day-long tour with the kids and will probably do stingray city on Cayman with the kids also but are still not sure about Cozumel and Jamaica. It is tricky to work out what to do on Christmas Day! On Cozumel, my wife wants to go to some ruins but I think the really spectacular ones are a long trip in the coach......

I"m going on a short cruise with friends in July - I'll be able to fully think about what I'm going to do on this cruise after that one is over. I know for a fact that we're going to stay on the ship in Grand Cayman -- been there, done that -- and don't really like it very much (hubby and I are not beach people). I'd rather have the ship to myself.

Christmas Day is my parent's anniversary. It's always been a special day for us, even though we're Jewish. ;)

When we booked this cruise, it was advertised out of Ft. Lauderdale. Yesterday, I noticed on the Costa web site that it listed the embarkation port as Miami. I confirmed the change with our TA. My lucky stars were in line when I found the reasonably priced flights into Miami! Guess I don't have to worry about renting a car or limo any more!

I haven't booked any shore excursions yet. I wonder about tours on Christmas Day in Jamaica. We really want to do Dunns River Falls and maybe the river raft too. I climbed Dunns River Falls once about 20 years ago BC - before children!

• 2 weeks later...

We are considering this cruise -- have it on hold with deposit due on Sunday. We'd then swap our Galaxy 10-day holiday cruise for something in the Med in '07.

Having been on Celebrity, Princess, and Oceania recently -- and Carnival way back -- we're curious about Costa. It would be a different experience, and we'd go into it with open minds of course. The reviews are mixed, but one takes those with a grain of salt, and we'd like to see for ourselves. But we're also considering similar sail dates with Royal Caribbean, HAL, and Carnival.

Any thoughts/suggestions/feedback would be most welcome. :)

Are there any specials that anyone know of during this time frame. Are they offering again the upgrade to a verandah, kids free promo. Any insight or tips, please. Want to do it again.

Love Costa.

:confused:

• 1 month later...
I booked our family of 5 a few weeks ago! My husband and I have three children traveling with us - ages 20, 16, 14 yrs. First time on Costa - can't wait!

Hi Sophie.. do you know if they have a good program for teens.. I am traveling with a 16yr old boy.. and he has been on the carnival valor and liberty during the past two December cruises.. loads of kids.. wasnt sure what this ship has to offer him.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard much about the programs for teens on this ship. My 16 yr old son will play plenty of basketball and video games and surely meet lots of other kids to hang out with. There's always so much for the kids to do - don't worry! I'm sure the cruise director will plan plenty of of activities for the kids for the Holiday week.

Does anyone know who the cruise director is on the Mediterranea?

Hey MonaCK - how was your summer cruise?? Give us the details!!

I haven't heard much about the programs for teens on this ship. My 16 yr old son will play plenty of basketball and video games and surely meet lots of other kids to hang out with. There's always so much for the kids to do - don't worry! I'm sure the cruise director will plan plenty of of activities for the kids for the Holiday week.

Does anyone know who the cruise director is on the Mediterranea?

Hey MonaCK - how was your summer cruise?? Give us the details!!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the delay on posting -- I hadn't realize that anyone replied to this! :)

My summer cruise was.. okay. It was with friends, and therefore, was very different than cruising with my family which is what I usually do. It was the Magesty of the Seas, and was a 4 day cruise. I usually find a 4 day cruise to be a tease, but not so this time. I was actaully quite happy to get back home.

It didn't help that my best friend and roommate got sick with an absessed tooth on the second day of the cruise, so I was on my own a lot more than i would have liked.

That aside.. I just needed to say that I paid final payment on the cruise today. :-D

My husband and entire family (11 of us) will be on the Mediterranea for the Christmas cruise. We did this two years ago and had a wonderful time. My sister did the airfare a couple weeks ago; boy are prices climbing quickly.

They sure are - we booked our airfare a few days ago, and were luck;y enough to get it for $300/pp. My parents booked early and got airfare for $200/pp.

The flights aren't too bad - we decided to fly in the day before, and in order to get a better rate, we're flying home the afternoon of New Years Eve.

There are at least 10 of us going on this cruise (it's all of my side/my mom's side of the family), and potentially my inlaws, but that's not set in stone yet.

bfs2718 - This will be our first 'Christmas cruise' and believe it or not - my 20 year old daughter is feeling like she will be missing the Holiday if we are on board a cruise ship! Please share your experience from 2 years ago. I have read that many of the ships workers are sad because they are away from their families for the Holiday - was that your experience? Did you bring extra small gifts for your cabin attendants and waiters? Was the ship decorated - and did Santa make an appearance??

Sophie

Archived