Upgrade/Reduction-How do you get them?

Travelover

I wish I had a definitive answer to your question. I have asked Princess this question many times, and generally receive a vague answer.

My own personal opinion is that the earlier you book, the better your chances for an upgrade--all other things being equal. Princess won't tell you that this matters though. In addition, being a past passenger (and depending on how many more "senior" past passengers are on the boat ahead of you waiting for an upgrade) helps. It also helps if the ship is not full (which seldom happens). I find that if you purchase a category that they can easily resell, that this will help.

For example, I try to book categories AE or AD in the mini suites. I don't book a specific cabin (so this won't work if you care where you end up at), but ask for a minimum guarantee cabin. This means that at minimum, you will get this category. If they can resell this (which they usually can because there are so few of these types of cabins), then they will move you.

There are some categories though that they don't seem to move from (for example from an inside cabin to an outside cabin)--at least that has been my experience.

So I generally book the minimum category I will be happy with and then hope for an upgrade. I usually get one about half the time. Last cruise, I was upgraded from a mini-suite to a suite, which was the best upgrade I ever received. Normally, it is only up a deck or so or a change in location.

Hope this helps. If anyone else has a better answer, I'd sure like to read it!

This is a huge subject of discussion. Price reductions are easily obtained prior to final payments. Some TA's are diligent and will keep track of pricing for you and pass on any savings; others you have to call and occasionally argue with before getting the new pricing. If you are booked as part of a group or under other special arrangements, you might not be eligible for new pricing. After final payments have been made, lower prices are usually for new bookings only. Cancellation penalties usually make it impossible to save money by cancelling and re-booking.

There are different ideas what an upgrade really is. Moving from a cabin to a similar cabin on a different deck might not be much of a difference. This often happens with guarantee bookings. Usually the location is a little better.

Moving from one basic type to the next-more-expensive type of cabin also happens, but isn't nearly as common. It happens, and usually is a matter of a cabin opening up on short notice (I think) or is done to open lower-priced cabins for short-notice bookings to those who just want to be on the ship for a low price. There might not be much rhyme or reason as to why someone gets a major upgrade.

I think that you have a better chance when you have fewer cruises. Many veteran cruisers have never been upgraded. I think there's a good reason for this. Once your spending habits have been established, there really isn't much reason to think you're going to change. A newer cruiser, though, might be so thrilled with an upgrade from a balcony to a minisuite that they have a hard time going back the next time. Mostly I think it's just blind luck - someone needs or wants your cabin, there is room to bump you up, and there you are with a nice upgrade.

Don't try to figure out the Upgrade Fairy. It will only drive you crazy.:)

Archived