car rental/island drive

scubapuss

We rented from Andy's the week we were there. We enjoyed the drive to the East End. Although Rum Point was crowded the day we were there, it's a really neat place. The drive to Rum Point takes about 45 minutes (to an hour) each way. Along the way, you will pass the botanic park. The blow holes are also over on that side of the island. You could stop and have lunch at the Lighthouse Restaurant. We enjoyed the drive through Savannah, and Bodden Town on our way to Rum Point.

We really liked that side of the island. There aren't many tourists over that direction, although there are some (there are several hotels). It's really much more natural than George Town...although we enjoyed GT, we loved the quieter part of the island.

It's also quite easy to navigate. There aren't that many roads.

If you had enough time, you could head down 7MB area and drive in that direction. There's a restaurant (Pappagallo's) that is at the far end of the top of the island. I don't think they open until dinnertime, but we drove up there several times, and then drove back down the 7MB area.

It's a great island to get out and explore on. I don't think there's a road we didn't drive on. We went everywhere. The great thing about having your own car is when you see something that interests you, you can stop.

There's also this really nice gift shop called "Pure Art." It's about a mile out of town as you leave to go toward Rum Point (to the right of the cruise port area). It's in an old house (white, I think) on the corner, and the front of the house faces a side street, not the one you are on. They had the best selection of local art...from xmas ornaments to paintings. We did not find another store like this on the island.

Dear Scubapuss,

Here are some great highlights of GC. If you rent from Avis, they have the best map of the island and it's free. You might also try Cayman Auto Rental, it's on the waterfront asnd is about 4 blocks walk from the pier.

Regardless, try this - once you get you car, go back to the waterfront and turn South and take the Maritime Heritage Trail.

Head out of town and drive along the coast through the South Sound neighbourhood. Beautiful houses and English gardens on steroids.

Pass by Grand Harbour Shops where Tony Hawks has opened the world's largest skate park - the Black Pearl.

Drive out of town into the old village of Savannah. In Savannah, turn right when you see the sign for Pedro St. James castle. The oldest home on the the island, it is now a lovely museum set on low cliffs overlooking the ocean. It had an important roll in Caymanian history, as it was the meeting place for all important decisions in the last 2 centuries.

Then continue along the coast to the original capitol of Bodden Town, named for the original settling family granted land by the English Crown. The oldest standing chuch in the Cayman Islands is here. Built from salvaged shipwreck parts by a shipwright, it is gorgeous. It is the Memorial United Church - a combination of the Presyterians and the Anglican Church.

Soon followed by the Pirate's Caves, where Black Beard and others hid buried treasure.

As you leave Bodden Town, you will notice several roadside Jerk Stands - Bar-B-Que - try Chesters for Jerk Chicken or Jerk Pork - it rocks.

Shortly after Bodden Town, you will come upon Breakers - absolutly gorgeous, it's view is spectacular and this village boasts the oldest standing lighthouse in Cayman. The Lighthouse at Breakers is now a great restaurant. Interesting story from Caymanian history - Caymanians got permission from the Crown to sometimes use their lighthouses to lure Pirates into the reef so as to help rid the high seas of pirates. This contributed to the more than 600 shipwrecks that ring the island.

Following Breakers, be on the lookout for the cross island road (Frank Sound Rd). Turn left and keep your eyes peeled for the Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park. This is definately worth a look-see. It is 65 acres, but the best part is the Colour Garden - it is spectacular. Every shape, form and colour of plant that you could ever hope to see. A traditional fruit Garden and home to the Blue Dragon Iguana - largest iguana in the world - only found in the Caymans.

After leaving the Gardens, turn right back onto Frank Sound Rd and continue to Northside. A neat little village, it was the last to develop (excluding George Town). Here you'll find nice people, a couple of great hangouts - like Over the Edge and the Driftwood and lots of almond trees. If you don't want to stop in Northside, look for Old Robin Rd, right after the gas station and turn right. This will continue to take you East.

If you prefer, you can turn right and head West to Rum Point and Kaibo Cay (Key).

If not...

Continue to the east until you come to the Reef Resort. Get out and hang out on their secluded, uncrowded beach. Here you can swim, snorkel and rent water toys.

After the Reef, continue East to Gun Bay. Check out The Wreck of the Ten Sail park for great vistas and views to Cayman's most important ship wreck.

After this, you will continue into the original settlement of East End. Very quaint and populated by descendants of the original settlers.

As you leave East End and start heading back to the West, you will come upon the Blow Holes. If the wave action is good, this is worth stopping for and taking a breathtaking photo.

After this, you can chase the sun down back to George Town. On your way back, be on the lookout for the road to Beach Bay, between Bodden Town and Savannah. It's beautiful and you will most likely find it deserted.

Depending on the amount of time you spend on the beach and at the various sights, this trip will take you approx 3-4 hours, with approx 45min of drive time out and 45 mins back.

Also, you can head East for the entire journey, but personally, I find the drive back from East End to be more enticing if you do the cross island bit first.

Hope this helps and God Bless. Enjoy your trip.

I just reserved my Jeep for the day that I will be in GC (September12th). I went with Avis because I have heard so many good things about them and also because I heard they offered open air Jeeps. . The Jeep was $63.00 for the day. From what I understand, you walk from the pier to the Blue Iguana and they transport you to the airport to pick up your vehicle. I booked this on-line and they did not require a deposit. I received a printed confirmation at the time I booked.

• 2 months later...

Archived