For those driving to Port Canaveral tomorrow (or in the near future)

MichelleP

Attn. Sensation and Fantasy cruisers.

Smoke from brush fires has caused officials to shut down parts of 528 (the Beachline from Orlando to Cocoa) and I-95.

Make sure you check the local news sites and research alternative driving routes before setting out tomorrow.

The word is that these conditions could persist for weeks, so even if you are not going tomorrow but are going in the near future, I would keep a watchful eye on the news reports.

Attn. Sensation and Fantasy cruisers.

Smoke from brush fires has caused officials to shut down parts of 528 (the Beachline from Orlando to Cocoa) and I-95.

Make sure you check the local news sites and research alternative driving routes before setting out tomorrow.

The word is that these conditions could persist for weeks, so even if you are not going tomorrow but are going in the near future, I would keep a watchful eye on the news reports.

THANKS MICHELLE for posting this thread!!

This includes all those who are cruising on any ship out of Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale or Miami. I tried to bring this up last week on another thread - but no one seemed to notice.

I am concerned for those who decide they can drive to the port the day of the cruise. There was an 18 car pile up on I-95 this morning because of the smoke.

PLEASE allow enough time so you won't miss the ship. I am heading to Miami on Friday and am researching all aternate routes - including US1 and A1A - just in case.

Just another note about the situation, my DIL was traveling on the Beachline (528) from Orlando to the coast and was detoured off at Hwy 520 this evening. Do check for other routes just in case.

Cell phone service is sketchy at best, too! The dense smoke is interfearing with the cell towers in the area. I know because I was trying to give her directions over the phone with a map in my hand!!!

Rose

I am going tomorrow. I am driving from St Pete/Tampa. Can anyone give me the best driving directions? I cant find anything about it on local channels.

I cant believe that I get to say "I am going tomorrow!!"

Thanks in advance for any help. And yes, I agree, we need rain badly.

Brenda

To make matters worse there were a bunch of cows on I95 this morning, they had come up from the marshes where they usually graze.

With conditions looking as if they might persist for a while a good but lengthy alternative would be SR 192 to A1A, then just head North up A1A.

SRs 50 and I believe 520 are both open currently but the Beachline (SR 528) is still closed.

Just wondering when and WHY we started calling the BEE line the Beachline???? That just really gets under my skin! Why not the airplane line??? Or the port line??? **end of rant** lol.

My pet peeve is all the money wasted on changing the stupid signs over grrrr. Or even that we probably paid for a bunch of people to come up with the idea.

Gotta love to see our tax dollars at work

trishnbrad,

I see you're from Palm Bay, My Dad lives there as well. Anyway, I was wondering how the air quality and the fire situation is there. My Brother is actually going to be driving from there to PA, on Saturday morning. My SIL is flying down to drive back with him and she is taking their infant son who has breathing problems along with numerous allergies and I was just worried about the baby with the air being smokey.

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. -- Authorities reopened the Beachline Expressway Thursday afternoon, about 24 hours after it was closed because of thick smoke from nearby smoldering fires, according to Local 6 News.

Earlier Thursday, firefighters set fire to 300 acres of land south of the Beachline Expressway in an effort to rid the area of dried brush and other debris that could fuel a blaze similar to the one that scorched 5,300 acres in Port St. John last week.

Looks like things should be okay but check out that alternate route just in case.:cool:

Is there a website that we can check conditions? We are staying in St. Augustine this Sunday night and driving to PC Monday morning. Should we take A1A from say Daytona? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Is there a website that we can check conditions? We are staying in St. Augustine this Sunday night and driving to PC Monday morning. Should we take A1A from say Daytona? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Here ya go TopCat - I am leaving in the morning for Miami and have been watching the site all day. Everything looks clear now - Let's pray it stays that way!!:)

http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/traffic/index.html

On the 1730 news the fire is still going strong 6,000 acres, bad smog this AM with alot of wrecks due to it. Here in New Smyrna Beach(just north of Port Canaveral) we have our own fire growing along SR 44 heading towards I95, it is approximatly 65 acres and growing. I can see the smoke coming towards us. Just hope we don't have a repeat of the fires of 1998. Laura

I am going tomorrow. I am driving from St Pete/Tampa. Can anyone give me the best driving directions? I cant find anything about it on local channels.

I cant believe that I get to say "I am going tomorrow!!"

Thanks in advance for any help. And yes, I agree, we need rain badly.

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

I'm leaving tomorrow as well from Tampa! Are you on the Glory? Anyway, call Carnival = they will give you the same directions they give the guys who drive for them. You can also call Port Canaveral, they gave me different directions. And, in the morning, check with the Highway patrol http://www.state.fl.us/fhp/. They have the current listings of roads closed and opened. And lastly, you can call 511 when yiou get near - that's local traffic. We're leaving at 7. Am so paranoid about missing the ship!!!!!

Good luck all and drive safe!

I asked our daughter Danielle when her ship (Fantasy) was in port on Thursday if she could see the fires and she said she can see the smoke.

Talltales, please report the conditions when you return from your trip.

We'll report back after our trip as well.

Jill

Archived