digital camera OK for alaska?

sam3

I'm going on NCL to Alaska in the end of July. My only camera is a digital Fuji FinePIx E500. Last summer, I went to Glacier National Park in Montana and to Waterton International Park in Alberta. I used this camera and got nice shots (I'm no pro!) with some good editing (cropping and lighting). Is it going to give me good shots in Alaska? We're planning to hike on of the trails at Mendenhall Glacier, kayak at the Tatoosh Islands, and probably hike to Laughton Glacier in the Skagway/Yukon area.

Yup, should work fine. Keep in mind, that the more you use it, the better you get. Also, get familiar with the exposure compenstion on your camera. It's looks like this: ZEVCOMP.JPG. It will darken and lighten the image. If there's a lot of white in the pictures (glacier), the camera will probably make it too dark. Using this function will lighten it up. All the snow is actually fooling your camera into the wrong setting. When you use this function, you'll see the effect right on the display. Have fun!

• 1 month later...

Here are shots from 2004 that I reposted recently:

100% digital

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska3004

Don't forget memory! Lots and lots of memory! I posted an article with recommendations on "how much...":

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/Article03.htm

Enjoy your trip! We liked it so much last time (and the time before, and the time before...) that we're going again in September!

Dave

Archived