Traveling with minors...

moinma

Does anyone have any experience traveling with minors that don't belong to you? I am cruising with my husband and two sons. In addition, 4 of their college buddies are coming along in a separate room. One of them will be 21, which covers that requirement. I found a form on the NCL website that must be filled out by the parents of the minors and, I think notarized. The form was listed under something called FAXBACK so I'm wondering if it can be faxed or is it something you turn in when embarking. Also, is there any other documentation we should bring with us to make sure we've covered all bases? My TA hasn't any experience with this and is trying to look into it with NCL, but nothing beats actual experience! Thanks for any and all help!!

From NCL.com:

Minors: A child traveling with an adult who is not the parent or legal guardian must possess a notarized parental/guardian consent letter that authorizes the minor to travel and that further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency.

Not sure college students are minors. If they are over 18 they can travel the world by themselves. They are adults in the eyes of the law. They don't need a note from mom to defend this country.

From the NCL website:

Minors

A passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing the purchase or consumption of alcohol and preventing the violation of any ship rules. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a notarized parental/guardian consent letter that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier.

An authorization letter is only required for guests under the age of 18.

Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied with no refund provided. Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom without someone over the age of 21 in the same stateroom, if they purchased the cruise under the family plan and have at least one person who is 21 years or older in the adjoining stateroom.

Archived