Regarding cell phones onboard

FYI... I just purchased a cingular phone & service this weekend to use on our cruise on the Explorer end of this month.

I found on their website, under International calling, that service is now available on SOME cruise ships. I checked the list and it shows all of RCCL's Voyager Class ships on the list. It actually gives a "per minute" charge and says that service is now on these ships providing you have:

1. A quad band phone ( GSM enabled)

2. International calling service which you MUST request, it is not automatic.

The rate it shows for cruise ships is $1.69 per minute with NO roaming charges. Same goes for Bermuda where we are sailing to. I know friends of ours used their Cingular phone last cruise to the Western Carribean and it worked in Jamaica, Grand Cayman & Bahamas at a rate of $1.99 per minute and no roaming. However what they are now saying is that the phone will work while AT SEA.

Of course RCCL will not verify this.. I believe they are afraid if they say you have service some dumbo will try to sue them if for some reason the service does not work for them. So I think they are still being very cautious about actually confirming service on the ship.

Have any recent cruisers used the service yet?

So I will let you all know how it works or IF it works.

I am quite sure that it is only Cingular that has service right now since Verizon says it does not.

Make sure you sign up for the World Traveler plan, it's a bit cheaper than their regular plan. I used it last week while onboard the AOS and it worked pretty good... your phone will say 901-xx instead of Cingular on the screen, and it is a lot cheaper than making a call through the ship.... I tested the signal in several places and seemed to work just fine....

When we were in port, I'm not sure if they shut down their tower or what, but I would pick up the local signal over the RCCL one...

I was just on the Explorer last week and my Cingular phone worked the entire time while at sea.......my phone always said "Cingular" on the screen and never hinted that I was roaming...not sure what the price will be however...guess I'll find out when I get the bill!! :confused:

Make sure you sign up for the World Traveler plan, it's a bit cheaper than their regular plan. I used it last week while onboard the AOS and it worked pretty good... your phone will say 901-xx instead of Cingular on the screen, and it is a lot cheaper than making a call through the ship.... I tested the signal in several places and seemed to work just fine....

When we were in port, I'm not sure if they shut down their tower or what, but I would pick up the local signal over the RCCL one...

It was that way in port because their tower on the ship only kicks in when there is not other signal to be had.

Yes we have the World Traveler Plan because it is cheaper and I am so excited that I won't have to worry about staying in touch with back home.

My DH has an elderly mother and we have a pet sitter so we would like to be able to stay in touch with the caregivers ( yes we are pet lovers and our dog has just finished chemotherapy so it's important that we are able to be reached in an emergency)

Anyway thanks for the feedback... :)

• 4 weeks later...

:( Just to give everyone a "heads up"....even though your phone will NOT show that you are roaming while onboard the ship....you WILL be charged roaming charges! I found that out quite by accident while on the Explorer last month.

A lot of cruisers get phone cards at their ports of call. It is a lot cheaper than the $2.00 per minute (or so) that you guys are talking. If you go to St. Thomas, your regular calling card will work there since it is a US port. Your ship's crew knows where to find the best deals.

Just a thought.

Be careful how much you use your phone on the ship. Last year, when I was on the Navigator of the Seas my phone said cingular on it so I used it to call. Little did I know, I was getting a $300+ bill. I was shock!!! I called Cingular and told them that it was not right that my phone did not indicate roaming on it. Finally they agreed to credit me 50%. I will never use my phone again on the ship.

What about using a prepaid cell plan that includes long distance ? We have a net10 prepaid phone JUST FOR EMERGENCIES and to check in and such when we travel, I noticed that St. Thomas and St. Maarten are included on the coverage map , would I be able to use it there and NOT get charged ?

Be careful how much you use your phone on the ship. Last year, when I was on the Navigator of the Seas my phone said cingular on it so I used it to call. Little did I know, I was getting a $300+ bill. I was shock!!! I called Cingular and told them that it was not right that my phone did not indicate roaming on it. Finally they agreed to credit me 50%. I will never use my phone again on the ship.

I did the same thing...Cingular credited me back 1/2 as well....your phone should really give you some kind of indication that you are roaming....that is just WRONG!!

On my last cruise, I used my tracfone (prepaid service). Same company, I think. It is similar to net10. The phone is not GSM capable, and I was only able to call from port. My phone indicated "roaming", but roaming charges were only $.50 per minute.

I guess I will see if it works on board ship this December.

PLEASE, don't make this too well known...my daughetrs and I danced for 10 days when my husband's Blackberry failed to work on the ship...we have him 10 days a year all to ourselves without work calling and hunting him down. I know there are many other wives that would pay big bucks for this info not to leak out! :)

I just got off the Mariner W. Caribbean itinerary last weekend. I have an OLD Nokia (3595) with T-mobile. My phone is a dual band and worked just fine in most areas. My son's phone is a quad band World Phone and I did not need to resort to his phone.

While we were driving down to Port Canaveral, I called T-mobile and asked about charges so that I could phone home while in Port. I found out that my OLD phone was capable of making / receiving calls in port AND at Sea for almost the entire cruise.

T-mobile enabled my phone to make / receive International calls and instructed me how to dial.

While in Port, the charges were $1.49 per minute and that includes the roaming.

While at Sea, the charges were $4.99 per minute due to satellite use. I was told that service at Sea could be eratic, because the ship is moving and so is the satellite....and that weather (we were dodging Alberto!) could be a factor.

Yes, these rates are expensive but they are way less than using your cabin phone for $8 or $9 a minute!

In Labadee, the phone would not work since Haiti is a "restricted" country. I had very eratic service in Cozumel since so many phone towers are still down due to Hurricane Wilma last October.

Text messages were only .35 a minute.

Remember, you will accrue charges when checking your voice mail.

Also, ask your Cell phone company for their direct number from an International location so that if you have any problems, you can call them free.

I was pleased that it didn't cost that much, gave me peace of mind that I could be reached without using shore to ship & vice-versa, and that you don't need a high-speed phone for service in the Caribbean.

The Guest Relations has an information sheet on this very issue, but I found talking to my wireless provider was far more informative and specific to my phone and service.

Good luck!

Archived