Silly question.

TML1101

My fiancee wants to bring his guitar on board - He wants to sit on a chair on the beach and play like George and Kenny!

1st of all, can you bring it on the ship? 2nd will they let you take it onto one of the islands? It seems that they might think you are smuggling something inside the case.

Anyone ever do this or see someone else doing it? I guess he can't imagine a week without his guitar. It is worth a pretty penny so I would be worried about it disappearing or being damaged but he wants to bring it anyway!

Wow, what an interesting question! Is he a professional musician?

I don't recall any prohibitions on musical instruments.

My hubby brought his golf clubs on and off at the ports with no problem. So I'm guessing a guitar would not be a problem.

Now, if he's a terrible singer/musician and you don't want him to bring the guitar, tell him you called the cruiseline and they said he can't bring it due to National Security issues. ;)

Sorry Dawgpound is right! No musical instruments! No Kenny Chesney moment on the beach for him!

From Carnival FAQ's on Carnival.com under the Security heading :

Musical Instruments:For the comfort of all our guests, musical instruments can only be brought on board if the guest is performing and this performance has been pre-approved by the Group Department.

:( or :) depending on how you look at it!

First of all, you're probably going to run up against musician union regs that Carnival is obliged to abide by; second of all, even if not, there's the practical matter of lugging around a bulky guitar just for the transitory pleasure of being able to say you played one "like George and Kenny"; third, George who and Kenny who?

George Washington didn't play the guitar [and he's dead besides]; and Kenny G plays the alto sax.

Well, I guess I will just have to burst his bubble! I am surprised that I didn't see that on the FAQ's as I spend many hours a day looking at cruise stuff! June can not come soon enough!

Thanks for your help all who posted.

LaBecca - no, not professional but he isn't bad. He just spends a lot of time with that darn thing! He can play and sing decent. Maybe I will get him to enter the talent show!

and for the non-country listeners, George as in Straight and Kenny as in Chesney!!!

On the Conquest last November, my nephew openly carried his guitar and his cabinmate openly carried his base aboard. They did perform in the Talent Show, but this was not arranged beforehand. So, Carnival let them bring the instruments aboard but he was not scheduled to perform. There was also another performer in the Talent Show who brought her guitar aboard.

Brought guitars on board, I've seen it myself.

Like texas greeneyes said, maybe it just depends on who is working security that day.

Here's some links to previous posts about guitars, etc. on board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=312223&highlight=guitar

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=288414&highlight=guitar

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=257260&highlight=guitar

CJW

PS They can always pass it through the x-ray (which they will) going on the ship, and at ports to make sure that there is nothing smuggled or dangerous in there.

Archived