? about booking flight through RCI

I just booked my first cruise! Yipee!!

I also had them book my flight, but they only gave me one option and it's $429 per person. :eek: Geez! Since I have never flown or cruised before, I didn't know if I should ask for other options. Can I call them back and have them give me a cheaper flight or is there only one option when booking through RCI?

How do I find out if there are cheaper flights available?

I need to call them back anyway and make a couple of changes (spelling of passenger name and dining time preference). Can I request a cheaper flight? One that will still get me there on time? :confused:

Thanks so much!

Congratulations on your cruise! When you book air through the cruiseline, you cannot request a cheaper fare. The cruiselines have negotiated these fares in advance, so depending on your travel date and departure city, you may be able to find air that costs less. You can check on your own to find less expensive air, and if you find it less, just cancel the air with the cruiseline. You can only do this up until final payment is made. If you make specific requests ( other than cheaper) for example, specific airlines, or times, you will be charged additional monies for the deviation fee.

The cruise lines only have one price for the airwhich includes the transfers from the airport to/from the ship. They will put you on the cheapest flight for them.

Check on your own air and allow for the transfers or lcoal taxis when comparing the price. You should be able to get a low enough price to cover this and pay for a hotel for the night before so you can avoid missing the ship and start out rested. I like to chek www.itasoftware.com to look for prices but also check discount airlines such as Southwest and Jet Blue that are not listed on it. You can not buy your tickest on it but can find all of the flights and then go directly to each airline for booking or go thru a TA. Keep watching the prices as they constantly change up and down.

If you get a price that beats the cruiseline, you can drop the cruise air up until final payment without any cost to you. If you can't beat it, then keep it.:)

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me! This being my first cruise, I'll probably just keep the air fare through RCI since I have heard that they will be responsible if my flight is delayed or something happens.

I would love to get a motel for the night before, but that is my wedding night! We're getting married on Sept. 30 and the cruise leaves out the evening of Oct. 1. So, I'll just depend on RCI to help me get there by flight!

Thanks!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and you will really enjoy your cruise. Under the circumstances you may be better off with the cruise air unless you can find a nonstop or driect flight out first thing the next morning. Have a great time.:)

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me! This being my first cruise, I'll probably just keep the air fare through RCI since I have heard that they will be responsible if my flight is delayed or something happens.

I would love to get a motel for the night before, but that is my wedding night! We're getting married on Sept. 30 and the cruise leaves out the evening of Oct. 1. So, I'll just depend on RCI to help me get there by flight!

Thanks![/quote

RCI is only responsible for getting you on your original flight. For example if you are flying from let's say Buffalo but it is not a direct flight, there is a connection in Atlanta. If your flight is delayed from leaving your home airport (Buffalo in this example) RCI is responsible to get you on the next availbable flight. Once you are on that first airplane RCI is no longer responsible for you. The airline is. If you miss your connection and there fore miss the ship this has to be taken up with the airline. Most times they will help but not always. Make sure you purchase insurance which cover catch up transportation.

I'll probably just keep the air fare through RCI since I have heard that they will be responsible if my flight is delayed or something happens.

Thanks!

You heard correct... another advantage of booking through the airline is in most cases they will take your checked luggage directly to the ship. You do not have to claim it at the airport. Again this is true for most major ports (Miami, San Juan etc...) as far a I know...

Archived