Seward to Japan Osaka) Cruise

I'm thinking of doing the trip between Seward and Osaka on the Mariner.

Has anyone ever done this trip. The only thing causing me to hesitate are the possible weather conditions as it's getting towards the end of summer and, although storms can happen at any time, I imagine that around the Aleutians they can be particularly fierce. Also I would be interested to know if anyone has done of the more unusual ports of call. Dutch Harbour, Petrapavolsk, Hakodate, Sendai, and if so what were they like.

Anyone sailing on the Navigator from Dover to Monte Carlo on 9th August ?

I really enjoyed this cruise it was something quite different. There is a lot of history about world war 2 and I found it quite interesting. Here are some of the notes I wrote up.

HAKODATE, JAPAN

The ship docks quite a distance from town. Taxis are on the pier and a shuttle bus is provided to the center of the warehouse district and the trip takes about 15 to 20 minutes. After disembarking the bus walk over the little bridge to get to the warehouse area. The water is on your right and the warehouses are on your left. At the end of the first block you see the main street and there are signs pointing to the various attractions.

Hakodate Trams

We thought this might be a good way to get around the city on the trams that stop at the highlights. However, in all the time we were there we saw the tram stops but never saw a tram.

Taxis

Taxis are about the same price as they are in Europe 5000 yen or $50 an hour. They don’t speak English and one of the best ways to communicate is to show them on the map where you want to go. After walking to the market from the shuttle bus and visiting here we decided to get a taxi. The taxi are was $50 from the market, to the top of the hill where the cable car goes, plus visiting the Roman Catholic Church and the city hall and taking us back to the warehouse district. This worked very well as the cable car alone was $10 a person and there were four of us so it was the best way to go.

The ship offers tours to all these sites below. If you have trouble walking and want to go up to the top of the mountain for the view you may consider taking a cab instead as it is a 7 minute uphill walk to the cable car station from the area that the ships bus tour drops you off.

Warehouse District.

This area is full of shops and restaurants. It appears to be old wooden warehouses that have been restored and now offer lots of variety in shopping and restaurants. This is a main tourist attraction. They do have a beer brewery offering different styles and types of beer.

The Local Market

This is very large and carries every kind of fish you can imagine. Lots of crab. The place is buzzing with activity and also has many small restaurants to sample the fresh fish. To find it turn left out of the warehouse district and it is about six blocks or so down the street. You will see sign posts along the way.

The Cable Car to the summit of Mt. Hakodate-yama

The cable car is in the opposite direction from the local market. The view from the top is quite spectacular and shows how large an area the Hakodate City covers. After coming down the hill from the cable car you end up in a nice area of town that has cobblestone streets and many quaint restaurants. This area also appears to house the embassies and consulates. This is where you find the Roman Catholic Church and the Town Hall.

Roman Catholic Church

This is shown in all the local tourist maps and is quite quaint. Not that ornate inside but worth a quick visit.

The Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward

This is a beautiful wooden building on the outside in blue and yellow with a Victorian architecture. The admission charge is $1000 yen or $10 each. The house has some rooms that have furniture and the main banquet hall is very large and quite impressive. This is not an ornate room like the castles of Europe just large. They charge an additional $10 if you want to dress up in a gown and take picture inside. Many of the Japanese young girls were doing this and that was a neat picture opportunity as we could take pictures inside of the girls. Worth a quick visit.

Goryokaku – Western Style Fort

We did not have time to visit the Fort. All that is left now is the outer walls and the interior park. If it is spring and the cherry blossom trees are in bloom this is supposed to be beautiful. On the Radisson tour you do go up a tower where you can look over the fort grounds.

The Trappsit Convent

Founded in 1898 this is still a working convent and no visitors are allowed inside. However you can see the exterior of the convent and the gardens and statues. I heard it was about a mile walk to get to the convent grounds.

PETROPAVLOVSK, KAMCHATKA PENNINSULA, SIBERIA

Sailing into Petropavlovsk was truly an awe-inspiring site. On the starboard side of the ship were two huge snow capped volcanoes and in front of the ship was a third snow-capped volcano. We had a perfectly calm and sunny day and the scenery was without a doubt was one of the most spectacular entrances to a port I have seen. The whole ship was excited about this port because the scenery was truly stunning.

This town is not set up for tourists as few people visit here and very few ships come into port. In a season perhaps four times a year a ship visits Petropavlovsk. So when you visit keep that in mind. It was also a let down I think because the sail in was so fantastic and the town turned out to be what one would normally expect from a small Russian town.

The ships tours got very mixed reviews. Some thought a tour was great and others complained bitterly. I think it is all about expectations. I did not do any of the tours but ventured out on the shuttle bus and then we were fortunate to find a taxi. Details are below about what we did and the reports I received from others of their experiences on tour.

Shuttle Bus

A shuttle bus leaves for town and it has three stops. From the market it comes straight back so you cannot get off it is a direct transfer to the pier.

The first stop is at the statue of Lennin

This is also the area that you can visit the Department Store, Gums. Not really worth the visit. There is one souvenior shop in this area. This first stop is in easy walking distance of the tender pier about 5 minute walk.

Second stop is the Cultural Museum

This museum costs $4 in admission and is nicely done. This is also on the Radisson tours. It shows the history and customs of the people of Petropavlovsk and also the animals of the region.

Third stop is the local market

This was the most fascinating stop of all. The market was bustling with activity and they were selling everything from fish, to produce to CD’s. The fresh produce was really beautiful particularly the berries.

Taxis

These are hard to find. You see them driving around but you don’t see any taxi stands anywhere to catch a taxi. We were lucky to get a taxi on the pier that was dropping off passengers. We had asked the local on the ship that was changing money what we should do with a cab and she wrote down her suggestions in English and then also in Russian. She suggested the viewpoint and also some local Dacha’s. (Dachas are country houses with gardens). The cost for the taxi to do both of these stops was $20. This took us about an hour and a half to complete.

The viewpoint

This was a dirt road, with many potholes, up a fairly steep hill. Once at the top the view was very good. On the way up there were many metal buildings, these were about 8ft x 10ft and very rusty. The only purpose we can see for these is for storage. The tour that did the Miltary museum bought passengers up this road in Hummer type vehicles. Some LOVED this others complained it was rough and very uncomfortable.

The Country Dachas

This was about 20 minutes outside of town. These are small homes with large gardens and greenhouses on a hillside. It was a nice thing to see and quite a difference from the masses of apartment block homes we saw in town.

Helicopter Tours

These were very expensive about $300 to $500 depending on your selection. This is where the contrasting comments were so diverse. After arriving it can require some walking and lots of stairs to see the thermal activity with the forms and colors created by the geysers. Those that did not do the walking failed to see much of anything hence were very disappointed. Those that ventured further said it was well worth while.

Boat Tours

Overall the comments were good on the boat tours. They did not see much wildlife but said the trip was really beautiful. The boats are not much but seemed to be acceptable to most people.

Kamchatka Nature Tours

Again mixed reviews. Lots of walking and not much wildlife was viewed. The guides are not experienced and did not keep close watch on the tourists so some got a little lost for a while. The lunch offered they said was very acceptable with more Vodka available than water but that the Vodka was actually quite good.

SENDAI, JAPAN

The ship docks at the port of Sendai and it is at least a 40 minute ride into town and could take longer with traffic. The ship provides a shuttle bus that takes you to the Railroad Station. The station and surrounding area are full of shops and restaurants. The majority of the stores carries very high quality brands and then there are also shops carrying Chinese souvenir type goods. The Department store close to the station is full of every brand name you think of and the merchandise is divided by the designer’s name.

Taxis

Once in town there are plenty of taxis if you wish to branch out and visit other areas. We took a taxi and the fare for an hour and a half was $30.00. We visited three sites.

Zui Ho Den – Mausoleum of Masamune Date. Really worth a visit – be aware there are a lot of steps.

This is the mausoleum of the first feudal lord of Sendai-Han, Masamune Date. The entrance fee is 550 Yen per person ($5.50). The original shrines were burnt down during world war 11. The shrines were rebuilt in 1979 and an excavation took place for the remains of Masamune Date. Also items such as his sword and foot armor were found and are housed in the museum. There are four major buildings, Zuihoden mausoleum, Zuihoden Museum, Kansenden Mausoleum and Zennoden Mausoleum. This is all set in a beautiful park with wonderful foilage and large trees. You can walk through here in about 45 minutes it is a loop back to where you started but longer would be nice to enjoy the environment.

Aoba-jo Castle - means Green Leaf Castle.

The castle was located on the top of a hill with a wonderful view of the town of Sendai. This castle was used as a residence of Masamune and his descendants for 270 years. The buildings were destroyed by fire so all that remains today is the rock walls and moats. A statue of of Masamune riding a horse stands on the former site of the castle. It is quite an impressive statue and a nice picture opportunity. The area also has numerous shops and restaurants for all the tourists that visit this area. Performers are playing musical instruments on the grounds.

Zuganji Temple

We did not get to go to the Zuganji Temple. It was constructed in 1606 by Date Masamune as a family temple. There was not enough time to visit here from Sendai but a tour did go this area and I did talk to people who went here. They said the temple now houses an art collection and the interior carvings and painted screens in the main hall were well worth a visit. You do have to take your shoes off to enter. There is also a small temple reached by two small bridges but here you cannot go inside. A stop was also made at the Tei Pavilion. The garden area has a small museum housing a collection of relics from the Date family. This is where the tea ceremonies used to take place. Everyone that went said it was well worth a visit.

DUTCH HARBOR UNALASKA

A very small place, and it is interesting in the towns isolation and also the history from World War 11.

Our ship offered shuttle bus service to four drop off points in local school buses. They drop off at each spot on the way but when you re-board the bus at the last point they do straight back to the ship. So check if you visit here to see if it is still done the same way as you then need to disembark the bus at each stop.

Stop number one – The World War 11 Visitors Center.

How interesting you will find this museum depends on your interest level in the war that took place in the Aleutian Islands. It is well done with two stories of exhibits and is right on the airport.

Stop number two – The Grand Aleutian Hotel and Gift shop

This is the big hotel in town and has a gift shop that features normal souvenirs.

Stop number three – The Cultural & History Museum

This is a larger museum with a $4 admittance charge. This covers the history of the islands and has some nice exhibits. Very modern and easy museum to walk through with some nice artwork. This is only one block from stop number one.

Stop number four – The Holy Ascension Cathedral

This is a national historic landmark that houses one of Alaska’s largest and richest collection of Russian artifacts, religion icons and art pieces. The cathedral is not large and is being restored. This area is also in the little town that is fun to walk around. A local taxi driver has decorated his house with numerous flowers and dolls and he constantly changes the decoration. A picture opportunity.

The only tours offered were a sightseeing tour and a halibut-fishing trip. If want to use a taxi there were a surprising number of minivan taxis that would hold six to eight people. The cost from town to the ship was $5 a piece but I am sure you could negotiate. I am not sure what else there would be to see other than what was offered on the shuttle bus route.

We hit a couple of wet days but nothing major. Amazingly our seas were pretty good. I thought it may be a problem also. I have been in some pretty rough waters and most of the time they are in the areas where you would expect calm seas. Coming from Sorrento to Rome was one time that sticks in my mind. VERY rough totally unexpected.

It seems whenever I go to an area that I anticipate rough seas they are fine. Once we went north of Cape Point - actually to the edge of the permanent ice cap - calm beautiful seas. Go figure!!

Take the trip it is one that I really enjoyed. I will be getting on in Osaka when you get off.

Thanks Ngaire.

The worst weather we've ever encountered was on a Springtime 12 day cruise out of the UK a few years back. Never got below a force 6-7 at any time, was force 10-11 for 2 days and briefly (a few hours) was force 12 (Hurricane force winds).

During the worst period everyone was warned not to venture out of their cabins (if they could stand at all) as it was too dangerous, but some did and many paid the price ending up in the infirmary on board, apparently the restaurant was like a game of skittles with passengers falling like ninepins. The worse part was in the Bay of Biscay - just a horrible experience which I wouldn't inflict on my worst enemy. Quite a few of the passengers slept in seats in the lounges, some with their lifejackets to hand because they felt safer.

The swell was 5-6 decks high, the waves were higher still and the spray was going right over the top of the ship (12 decks). We missed out 3 ports of call becaue it was unsafe to dock due to strong winds, and at one point all the captain could do was point the ship into the storm and hold position.

My wife and I used to work on the ferries between the UK and Holland, and regularly take cruises and we had never experienced weather like it either before or since.

Our young daughter was traumatised at the time, although it hasn't stopped her cruising with us since, especially now that she's at university and 'good ole Dad' still pays for her to travel with us! I guess one bad weather cruise out of many isn't too bad.

Thanks again for the info.

Archived