New to cruising - FOS 5/21-22/2006

:rolleyes: I am not ashamed to say that I have never cruised. As a guest of FOS, I was impressed with the size of the vessel. The promenade was wonderful; I could forget about the seas as long as I had available cash or credit. I had lunch at Windjammer and was happy with the food choices. Unfortunately, unfamiliar with gorging, dinner 6:30PM was just too soon. We left Boston about 5PM. By 6:50 the 3rd floor and 4th floor dining area was full. That left the 5th floor. By the time I entered the 5th floor, a nightmare for my frayed nerves occurred. The waitress and a couple of the waiters were transfixed with the front of the ship. To my worst fear, the shp seemed to bank to the right in a tilting position. Even some of the pax focused on this suspended in time event. it seemed like there was a surreal silence. I lost it: I didn't want to eat...I wanted dry land or even a vehicle to hit me. The ship righted itself, and all went back to normal. I ate the next day at breakfast when we docked.

My room was a nice size facing the inside over the promenade. My concern was the comfort level for two big people. It felt a little tight, yet comfy. I was happy with my room. I could not hear all the noise (good noise) from folks and the music below. I peered into the balcony rooms, and they, too were gorgeous, and spacious. Before we set sail, I visited the suites. These rooms looked like apartments at sea. Both had room for the neighorhood, each with its own hot tub.

Yes, smoking will be a problem anywhere it is allowed. Think about that if you have anathema to tobacco. As the pamphlet suggested, don't even think of using Verizon while at sea. Can you hear me now, blurb, blurb, blurb.

As a newbie, I was impressed. I will talk this boat up until the next big one sets sail.

I don't know how far we had to enter the sea until international waters, but the seas weren't that horrible. A little dip here and there (up until the tilting), some swaying...but nothing turbulent to make me faint. It poured down rain. The skies were black. It was cold. The ship did rock. I don't know if it was docked at sea for the gambling or if it just moved slowly. By 12:30 AM, the rocking got on my nerves (doesn't everything when you're afraid) at night. I didn't sleep well because of the movement (rocking and swaying). By 5AM, the ship barely moved as it headed back to Boston.

So, if any nautical engineers can tell me what that tilting on FOS about 6:50-7PM on Sunday May 21 was all about, maybe my mind can be put at ease. I will think about cruising in the future. I did like cruising until the bad weather. May it was just Boston, Mass Bay and that area of the Atlantic Ocean. RCI has some wonders in store for us. Stay tuned.

So, if any nautical engineers can tell me what that tilting on FOS about 6:50-7PM on Sunday May 21 was all about, maybe my mind can be put at ease. I will think about cruising in the future. I did like cruising until the bad weather. May it was just Boston, Mass Bay and that area of the Atlantic Ocean. RCI has some wonders in store for us. Stay tuned.

I was on that Sunday evening sailing enjoying my dinner and I saw some storm clouds brewing. It wasn't long until the storm caught up with us and the wind picked up.

Have you ever tried to hold a piece of plywood in a slight breeze? Imagine the force of a gale hitting the broadside of 1000+ foot ship! The force applied by that gale was enormous, yet the ship only leaned a couple of degrees. I'm amazed that we didn't feel more motion as upon returning to the cabin and monitoring the one channel on the television, I saw we were encountering 60 mph winds most of the evening. I can attest to how strong they were after retreating from deck 12 immediately upon exiting the wind protected atrium elevator!

The Freedom of the Seas is absolutely amazing and I hardly felt any motion throughout the cruise. You'll have to take a sailing on her when she begins her itinerary of W. Caribbean sailings. I doubt there will be such ugly weather as what the Atlantic ocean off Boston can provide.

Archived