Recommendations - Excursions with kids (ages 5 & 9) - Mexican Riveria

snappycaktas

Snappy - The Mexican Riviera was our first cruise......MANY moons ago. We had our kids with us, who were 7, 9 and 11 at the time. I remember taking the glass bottom boat ride at Cabo with them. Low cost, great sites, and the kids had a blast.

We didn't do anything organized at Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, just wandered around, did some shopping....and the kids still had a blast. My 7 year old son beat some poor store owner up in Mazatlan. He found a hooded jacket he liked, but he wanted to stretch his spending money as far as possible. It was hillarious to watch this grown man negotiating with a 7 year old boy. He finally got the jacket for only $2.00! The kid was tough!

Don't worry all that much - it's a whole new world to them, and they'll have fun regardless of what you do!

Joe

when my kids were those ages (not too long ago) we did he swim with the dolphins and a general bus tour. Mostly, as other posters stated, we walked around and explored. Remember that your kids may be having so much fun on the ship that they may want to stay in the kids program -- my kids did that during our stop in Cabo so my husband and I wnet ashore and had a quiet lunch -- it was nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the 5/28 Pride with a 12, 9, and 5 yr old. We were travelling with my in-laws so we were trying to find things that would appeal to three generations. We were also able to snorkel as my father-in-law doesn't snorkel and was happy to stay with the 5 yr old. on the boat.

In PV we did the Yelapa/Majahuitas snorkle (booked through Carnival with PV Adventures). They said that the 5 yr old wouldn't be able to snorkel or kayak, but PV Adventures let her kayak. The snorkeling was okay but Yelapa Beach was not as nice a beach as I hoped. I would have done the Dolphin Swim/Sea Life Park if my in-laws weren't with us.

Mazatlan was our best port. We did the City Tour/ beach resort with Mazatlan Frank. The kids tolerated the tour (saw the cliff divers as well as a few shopping stops which they liked). Right around the time that the 5 yr old couldn't take it anymore, we went to the resort. I'm sure that you've read that the beach resorts are the best option for young kids and I now agree. It was very pleasant having the pool and the beach (we did run into jellyfish - the pool was wonderful). The vendors couldn't bother us on the resort grounds.

In Cabos, we booked the Santa Maria Cove snorkeling. We never would have booked that if the in-laws weren't with us. The snorkeling wasn't great. The kids enjoyed the catamaran ride, but none of them cared much for snorkeling. If I ever go back, I think I would opt for the glass-bottom boat tour of the Lands' End area and then a beach resort/wandering around town.

Good luck with your research!

Donna

Archived