Rosenborg Castle tour

We will be in Copenhagen for two days in July and will tour on our own. I read in Rick Steves that in Rosenburg Castle nothing is explained in English. Richard Karpen does not do a tour on the day we will be there; anyone know of a english language tour we could do?

We will be in Copenhagen for two days in July and will tour on our own. I read in Rick Steves that in Rosenburg Castle nothing is explained in English. Richard Karpen does not do a tour on the day we will be there; anyone know of a english language tour we could do?

Hello, here is a like to the Rosenborg castle http://www.rosenborgslot.dk/asp/menu/menuPages/visit_2.asp?countryID=2 Where it mentions tours, I get the impression they only offer group tours.

It is a castle which you can easily do on your own in about an hour, and the Crown Jewels are in the lower level below ground. However, I do understand that a tour would provide more information than what you might discover on your own. Still, when I toured last summer, I recall gathering an information sheet which gave an illustrated a map, and provided information on each room. However, the information was minimal, nothing in great length, and was basically, brief. There were employees throughout the various levels who I gathered was there to make sure nothing was broken or stolen, but I did find them to be a good souce of information. Although they are not guides, I believe they do know what everything is, and probably enjoy sharing information when asked to break up their boredom. Even so, I would not count on depending on them too much. Also, in the area where you purchase your entrance ticket, the museum shop, I believe they may have books in English for purchase which may provide information as well.

I believe with the information from the website, the wandering guards, and available literature, you will do just fine touring this beautiful castle on your own. After viewing the website briefly, I believe this will be your best source of information. Have fun, Rosenborg is a beautiful castle in a beautiful park setting.

Steve

In addition to Steve's advice above, I just wanted to stay that during our time in Copenhagen, it actually was a plus for us that we didn't have to be at Rosenborg at a set time to tour. At Christiansborg, you need to visit the castle on a tour, and the English tours are scheduled at various times during the day. If we had to work around two set scheduled activities that day, it would have been difficult. We found that the sites were fairly spread out in Copenhagen, and it took us longer to walk from site to site than we had planned.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Vicken,

We did the Rosenborg tour on our own. We used the Rick Steves book as a guide to explain what we were seeing - we stopped at a display and read about it. We probably got more out of it that way instead of a tour group. It was worth it to see the crown jewels. It didn't take us that long to tour - maybe 1.5 hours.

Jean

Is Rick Steves a tour book of Copenhagen or a person who gives tours? Sorry if that is a silly question.

Rick Steves writes travel books, mostly through Europe. He has one on Scandinavia. It's probably in this book where he writes a description to guide you through Rosenborg. You can find this book on the internet, at amazon.com, or any major book store.

We have used Rick Steve's books several times to tour on our own(in Rome and in Lisbon for ex). They have been great and very accurate. We just read as we go along. Just got his Scandinavia 2006 on Amazon.com Better price there than on the Rick Steve site itself. I personally think they are the best guide books around.

Archived