What currency should I buy to tip in the med? $ or Euro?

Hi all.

Leave in 11 days time so thinking about exchanging some £££'s for Euros for the ports we will be visiting - however, read the other day that Voyager is still trading in $$$ on board the ship. My question is this, do I need to also get some $$ for tipping?

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated!!!:rolleyes:

We put our tips on our sea pass and used Euros to give a little extra for those who provided excellent service last fall on Brilliance. It seemed like the best idea since we were in Europe and the steward/waiters could use the Euros in port without having to exchange dollars.

If you're going to tip in currency, I don't think it would matter much to the staff. Euro's would mean they wouldn't have to exchange them in port for purchases would be the only advantage I could see.

Last year on the Splendour, we used $. There didn't seem to be a problem and those who received the tips seemed most appreciative. You should be able to exchange funds on the ship whether you need $ or Euros.

Have fun. You'll love the Med.

Euros are the best for European destinations and the staff on the ship do not mind which currency they get for tips as long as legal tender!!!

Do not change on the ship as exchange rates are always a rip off. LOS were offering $1.62 against the £ when the exchange rate on land was $1.76.

However the majority of European destinations have ATM machines, exchange booths, and shops etc take all major CC. I normally take a small amount of Euros and then get an extra amount from ATM machines as you get a better rate of exchange.

Remember when an agent offers no commission it means the rate of exchange is often lower than normal, as this is how we make our commission, you do not get anything for nothing ha ha.:rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

:) I have purchased Euros, making sure I have a lot of 2 Euro coins & 5 Euro notes for tipping porters etc and also some larger notes for spending on ports :D

Thanks for all your help! I cannot believe I leave in 4 days time :eek:

I am soooooooo excited!!!!

Jo x

I have been in London several times for business. If you plan on taking the tube or trains (especially the trains) around the country, I would suggest a pocket full of coins, as the bathrooms in the stations are pay. Just one unplaned for annoyance. - I refuse to drive in the UK

Mildred's other half :cool:

Archived