Formal Nights

For the guys, If you plan to go on many cruises in the future...most tux sales stores have a warehouse sale in the summer (at least the one in Atlanta does) You can pick up a nice used tux for about $50 to $70 complete. Then if you have two formal nights, just buy two different ties or vests.

For the Ladies, My wife and I shop the mall stores after prom or June and get great deals on formal wear. She is about a size one or two, but we have pick through the 12 and 14's also. So there is plently of selection and we don't pay more than $70 per dress...ok ok we have paid $100 but we have also picked up some very sexy slinky dresses for under $30.

If you are not going to the main dining area you can pretty much wear what you want, they don't adhere to the formal attire policy. We do the Chops, Potofinos, Jades and windjammer on some occassions when we just don't feel like dressing up.

Hey for the guys, you don't have to wear a tux, a suit and tie or just nice shirt and tie are adequate. Granted I am not the Cruiseline staff, but I know what I have gotten away with.

Hope I helped

cruise on...

Guest cvbart
Both my wife & I are not into formal wear. Believe it or not --- we don't have any formal wear. Luckily both our jobs don't need us to wear formals; smart casuals/casuals just work fine.

So, my question is --- would it feel very odd, if we wear smart-casual on a formal night? I'm wondering if we should really spend a few hundred $$ on something we will wear only once.

You will be fine.

Most of the dress code stuff you read out here is just someones opinion of the way they want things to be. They want you dress for them, not for you.

You would probably feel out of place in jeans and a tee shirt on formal night but smart casual would be fine. We saw lost of folks on our May 07 cruise in what I would call smart casual on formal night and no one cared and everyone had a wonderful time.

Both my wife & I are not into formal wear. Believe it or not --- we don't have any formal wear. Luckily both our jobs don't need us to wear formals; smart casuals/casuals just work fine.

So, my question is --- would it feel very odd, if we wear smart-casual on a formal night? I'm wondering if we should really spend a few hundred $$ on something we will wear only once.

You will be just fine. While most will be formal, there were enough wearing smart casual that you won't feel odd. Plus, the waiters will treat you totally fine and not even notice.

If you plan to eat at Chops, Portofino's or Johnny Rockets anyway, you might as well plan it for one of the formal nights (easier to get a resv anyway then). But don't feel chased out to them or WJ if you prefer the dining room.

Another suggestion is to line up early and be the first in if you are feeling conspicuous.

The dress code is suggested, but not at all required.

Archived