Formal Nights

How do you know how many formal nights there are on a cruise? We are going on a 7 day cruise July 23, 2006 on the Rhapsody of the Seas. Also what do you where in the dining room on non formal nights? This is our first cruise.

Yvonne

How do you know how many formal nights there are on a cruise? We are going on a 7 day cruise July 23, 2006 on the Rhapsody of the Seas. Also what do you where in the dining room on non formal nights? This is our first cruise.

Yvonne

There should be 2 formal nites on a 7 day cruise. As far as what to wear on the other nites I always wear a pair of slacks and a collared shirt.

Two formal nights. Females have it made if they do as my wife does. Go to Macy's, Dillards or anyother major chain in the mall after Prom, winter sale etc. We have bought about 8 very sexy formal gowns for under $50.00 each. She will not pay $100.00 for a dress that she won't wear more than once. We usually let our friends daughters come over to borrow dresses that she has previously worn. If you are wondering why she won't wear a dress twice, it is because we are keeping pics of each cruise and don't want to see the same dress on two different cruises....a girl thang. As for men, but a different colored vest, tie, hanky etc. No one will ever notice the same tux or suit. You can wear different colors to match your wifes dress.

You will be suprised how fun it is to go with your wife to pick our dresses for the cruise. My wife and I make it a special occasion to go shopping for our cruises, it is a real marriage booster. I actually enjoy the shopping on this occassion.

cruise on...

Two formal nights. Females have it made if they do as my wife does. Go to Macy's, Dillards or anyother major chain in the mall after Prom, winter sale etc. We have bought about 8 very sexy formal gowns for under $50.00 each. She will not pay $100.00 for a dress that she won't wear more than once. We usually let our friends daughters come over to borrow dresses that she has previously worn. If you are wondering why she won't wear a dress twice, it is because we are keeping pics of each cruise and don't want to see the same dress on two different cruises....a girl thang. As for men, but a different colored vest, tie, hanky etc. No one will ever notice the same tux or suit. You can wear different colors to match your wifes dress.

You will be suprised how fun it is to go with your wife to pick our dresses for the cruise. My wife and I make it a special occasion to go shopping for our cruises, it is a real marriage booster. I actually enjoy the shopping on this occassion.

cruise on...

WOW.. my husband will not even go to the grocery store with me, let alone ever consider going clothes shopping with me..

and I could not imagine ever buying a new dress to wear only once.. (except for my wedding dress) and I almost did not even do THAT, because I wanted something that I could wear again...

I also can not imagine buying a new dress for EVERY cruise.. :eek:

but in my case, outside of cruising I do not wear dresses hardly ever.

Wow! I've been married thirty-seven years and in all that time Hubby has never gone clothing shopping with me, not even for shoes! But I don't want him to, either. He simply would be too impatient with the trying on process and try to hurry me. He'd want me to take the first thing I try on, no matter what it was. I don't join him when he buys his clothes either.

Just goes to show. Different strokes for different folks.

What are the dress codes onboard?

Just click the link…..

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

And you’ll find…..

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Formal means you dress up! Suits or tux for men. Cocktail dress or gown, or even very fancy evening pants and sparkly shirts for women. Same for kids, only age appropriate! Don't wear to formal night what you would wear to Denny's. If you refuse to dress up, the Windjammer buffet will serve you in more casual wear.

Yvonne

Forgive me, but I have to butt in. What you have received (in my opinion) are the "die hard" answers". You are on vacation and the dress standards have relaxed considerably over the last few years on RCI. I do wear slacks and a collarred shirt on all but formal nights. On formal nights (as stated 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise) I wear a dark suit and tie. My wife wears sun dresses, pants suits, and even caprie pants with a nice blouse. On formal nights she wears a cocktail dress for the most part. Occasionally she will wear a really nice, long, sun dress.

Here is some comments I posted in the thread asking about renting a tux aboard ship: "I take one suit and two shirts and two ties. I rented a tux once (in a panic) because my suit pants did not come back from the cleaners with the jacket (and I did not know it until I was getting dressed for dinner!). They took care of me in less than a hour and the tux fit wonderfully. We even have formal pictures of me in a "monkey suit":D! Your husband will fit in with a jacket and tie very easily on formal night. Now a days, many people do not "conform" to formal night and will wear slacks and a shirt. there are those who do not go that far and are not turned away from the dining room. The husband of one couple that went with us on a cruise wore a shirt, tie, sports coat, and a pair of jeans! They may get looks and an occasional snide remark, but even those are few and far between. The attitude is "I'm on vacation and I will dress how I feel comfortable." I do not feel comfortable in anything less than a suit and tie, so that is what I carry along...but that is just me.

Point being, (my opinion) dress nice, but you are on vacation, so enjoy it. There are hundreds of threads about formal night dress on this site. Most of them are going to tell you to "just be comfortable".

Hi! We have no life so dressing up for dinner will probably be something I will do to some extent every night. For formal nights short cocktail dresses dressed up (did the long dress thing for two cruises so want to try something different).

Will I look ridiculous wearing a nice dress on smart casual??--ok I have these killer new shoes that are fancy that I want to wear that night so it will actually dress up this kind of informal dress. Hopefully, I won't look too overdone and get looks from any one. But I gotta wear these shoes!

Other nights, nice capris and tops. Probably will dress a little for chops/portofinos. I think people should wear what they want. I just feel uncomfortable sometimes feeling too overdressed.

Man I wish my DH would shop with me!

We are going on 6/11 FOS! YAY!

cruise on...

How lovely that you accompany your wife, I think my husband would go, but get bored after the frist two dresses I try on! I've learned NOT to go shopping with him :) .

But, I do as your wife does, I buy formal clothes on sale and typically wear much of it only once. Before anyone gets weird about it, I have found quite a few long dressy dresses that fit right in for formal nights for less than $25 each.

On casual nights, DH wears slacks and nice sports shirts, I like Chicos travellers for these nights. I can pack one pair of black pants and 4 different tops, cutting back not only on clothes, but shoes as well. If you have semi-formal nights, cocktail dresses and sports coats are fine.

I know the dress code has been relaxed, it's pretty obvious when you are on a ship that a lot of people don't care much what they wear. But, we still like to dress nicely, no matter what night it is. To us, casual is nice, clean and well pressed, not jeans or sloppy shirts. You have to do what you are most comfortable with. I don't give it much thought when I see someone dressed real casual (sloppy) but I do appreciate seeing others dressed nicely.

Many people take advantage of formal night and enjoy dressing well. It does not have to be traumatic or very expensive at all.

I dress up more. On none formal nights I wear dresses or very nice pants. Nice sundresses are a favorite of mine for non formal nights.

My husband rents a tux for formal nights or takes a dark suit and a couple of shirts and ties. On non formal nights he takes Kahki's or dark pants and collarless shirts, maybe a sport coat and nice Hawaiin type shirts. He looks appropriate in any of those outfits. If he wears a silk sweater/T combo thing (I have no idea how to describe this shirt style) he tosses a blazer over it.

Nliedel My husband wears the same type of silky t-shirt thingy with a blazer over it!

Casual nights hubby wears kahki pants and a nice polo type shirt. I wear a sundress or nice capri outfit. Smart Casual/Semi Formal or whatever it is called Husband wears a silky shirt with a blazer and I wear dresses that I would wear to a wedding. Formal husband wears a Tux and I wear either a long gown or one of my little black dresses. My favorite little black dress is chiffon and silk with a little jacket I love it! Everyone loves it on me and it was a clearance dress that cost me all of $7.99 at JC Penny. So formal does not have to cost a lot. All my formal clothes I purchase on clearance. This way I have my choice on what to wear for what cruise. I have a closet full of semi formal and formal gowns. Then I sit there and go decisions decisions. It costs me more to dry clean then it did to purchase these dresses thanks to the eagle eye of family members and friends! ok I am done rambling.

I always shop the clearance rack as well. I have a pair of black dress pants from Crazy Horse that I found at Penneys for less than $10. I've had them for years and they pack great and look great. And have an elastic waist--important for later in the cruise! ;) I have a selection of blouses to go with these pants as well as several cocktail dresses. I never dress up at home and wear jeans and tshirts for work. As one poster put it, I have no life :D, so I really enjoy dressing up when we are on vacation. I know not everyone feels that way and that's fine. What other people wear does not impact my enjoyment of dinner.

Yvonne, you have received some great suggestions for non-formal nights. Capris and a nice blouse work for me on casual nights. I also have a pretty broomstick skirt that I wear sometimes. When I'm choosing clothing for a cruise, I try to pick fabrics that don't wrinkle easily and this makes packing so much easier. Have a great time on your first cruise!

For nice cocktail dresses and gowns, you can't beat ebay. I just purchased my formal gown, a $300 dress, brand new with tags still on it, for $19.95 plus shipping. The only draw back is you can't try on, but if the seller can provide you with measurements, you should be able to tell if it is going to fit, even if you can't tell what it will look like.

Kind of funny to see the knee-jerk reactions -- The OP never asked what to wear on formal nights, yet most of the replies are about it. :)

The OP did ask what to wear on non formal nights. Some of us like giving other useful information too....like where to find a good deal!:D

cruise on...

I'm one of those rare women who hates to shop. :eek: My DH even does the grocery shopping. It's a very rare occasion for him to get me in the mall. However, we do choose our formal clothes together. I order my formals off the internet, & we choose them together. I try them on when they arrive & if we don't both agree, they get returned. Actually, I usually have final say, but I pretend to listen to his opinion. ;) We always choose his & our DS's accesories to blend with what I'm wearing. I think it's great that you guys enjoy shopping together. My DH & I do almost everything together. :)

Will I look ridiculous wearing a nice dress on smart casual??--ok I have these killer new shoes that are fancy that I want to wear that night so it will actually dress up this kind of informal dress. Hopefully, I won't look too overdone and get looks from any one. But I gotta wear these shoes!

I have so many formal clothes that I sometimes wear some of the less formal dresses on informal/ smart casual evening. I still have some I haven't even worn. :o The specialty restaurants provide a perfect opportunity to dress up on a casual evening. My DH wears a suit, when I want to dress nicer on nonformal evenings. That way, even if we're a little over dressed, we still look nice as a couple. :) We normally sail on Celebrity ships, but I plan to do the same on RCCL in Nov.

I found very few men with jackets on for smart casual although I packed both casual and dress suits for my dh. It was a pain in the neck and a waste of luggage space to include smart casual sports coats or jackets. It definitely is not needed. One suit and tie is it!

How do you know how many formal nights there are on a cruise? We are going on a 7 day cruise July 23, 2006 on the Rhapsody of the Seas. Also what do you where in the dining room on non formal nights?

Mariner 5/28/06 Eastern

There were 2 formal nights on our 7 night cruise. Casual the rest of the time. Smart casual was every night in Chops/Portofino.

On casual nights I wore nice jeans, polo type shirt and wedge sandals. At Portofinos I wore the same nice dark jeans, silky frilly shirt, sparkly jewelry and heels. On formal night I wore a black cocktail dress.

I felt totally comfortable on all nights and never felt out of place.

Kind of funny to see the knee-jerk reactions -- The OP never asked what to wear on formal nights, yet most of the replies are about it. :)

Please re-read the OP's post, they did ask what to wear! Perhaps not exactly what to wear on formal nights, but I'm sure she/he enjoyed reading about that, too. Most of us ladies looooove to talk about clothes:)

Both my wife & I are not into formal wear. Believe it or not --- we don't have any formal wear. Luckily both our jobs don't need us to wear formals; smart casuals/casuals just work fine.

So, my question is --- would it feel very odd, if we wear smart-casual on a formal night? I'm wondering if we should really spend a few hundred $$ on something we will wear only once.

ok, so on a 14 night cruise, then I should plan for 3 formal nights. And is it formal only in the main dining room, or would we have to conform to "formal dress" to eat dinner that night. I ask because, the only "formal wear" I have is a bridesmaids dress that I wore 5 years ago (and still fits). I don't want to have to go out an get two more dresses, since I couldn't buy off the rack (smaller-end Plus)

UGH, special clothes just to eat ?!? :eek:

Archived