Mobal GSM world phone on Eastern Med cruise

2busy

We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary with a 10 day eastern med cruise in July on the Noordam. But, my wife and I need to be in daily communication with her 101 year old mother. Our Verizon cell phones do not have an easy international option. And I am not sure that an "ordinary" cell phone is the answer. Satellite phones, it seems, do not work indoors (does that mean in the cabin too?). It seems there is no simple phone solution.

Does anybody have experience with a Mobal GSM world phone? Their website is enticing, but I can't get a clear idea of where it would and would not work.

Thanks for any help

I purchased the $49.00 one for a trip to Italy last year. I worked very well. I plan on taking in the Noordam - same itinerary as you - and expect that it will work just as well. Be aware, however, that there is a different "per minute" charge for each country. Some of the countries on the Eastern Med itinerary are rather pricy. In Turkey, for example, I'll probably just stay in touch by email.

We've used Planet Phone and now they're affiliated with AAA and offer a discount to AAA members. You do have to be aware of individual country rates. They give you the rates upfront so you can compare them before you book. The reservation is for the number of days you request and they ship to your home (with accessories, charger, European plug-ins etc) on the day you specify. Also included is a postage free envelope for return. We've never had to pay shipping either way. There are a number of options and plans. We were always able to call out, even above the arctic circle, when we were in port.

GN

mushroom and grannynurse,

I was thinking of the $99 version of the Mobal GSM since it has more countries and it might have more coverage at sea.

I will also look into the Planet Phone.

Thanks to both of you.

It was a toss-up for me...the 99.00 or the 49.00. I decided to try the less expensive one first and see how it worked. I have a friend who bought the 99.00 model and is very happy with it. The really good thing about buying your own phone is that you have a premanent phone number (in England) that is yours forever. It's real easy for people to call you. However, I don't advise leaving the phone on at all times. Sometimes you get these unsoliticed messages welcoming you to the country when you cross borders.

Hi mushroom,

If the phone is left off and someone tries to call you, does the phone keep a record of that call?

Did you or your friend use the phones at sea?

Thanks

I don't have any experience with this, but according to the instruction book that came with my phone..."the phone registers the phone numbers of missed and received calls if it is switched on and within the network's service area".

We had excellent luck with our Mobal GSM phone in Europe last year...service was excellent. Although the per-minute charges are high, we still spent far less on our phone in 2 weeks than other family members who rented phones, and the phone (as well as our phone number) are ours to keep forever. (The phone is based in England, so when family members called us from anywhere, they needed to enter the country code for England, no matter where we were at the time...this is the same for anywhere in the world)

The phone did keep a record of missed and received calls, and there was an optional voicemail feature (which we did not use).

We actually called to company before ordering the phone, and it turned out they had a limited number of older Nokia style phones for free (only needed to pay $10 or shipping)...we chose this option, and it worked GREAT!

Archived