Aloha wear...cool or tourist tacky in the islands?

dagtoking1

Living in Florida I have alot of "hawaiian" shirts, and I have even come by some cool vintage ones. Do people actually wear these in Hawaii or is it just a tacky tourist practice? I was wondering if I should bring some along to wear to the Luau, etc. or if it would be considered bad taste. I can't really remember what people were wearing when I was there over twenty years ago. I probably would wear them anyway being that I like them. :p

Locals wear them all the time. Sometimes when I see people with the matching shirts and dresses from Hilo Hatties or something I tend to think of tourists but then again they could be entertainers or tour guides or something. However, if you had a bad sunburn and a camera around your neck too - that would give you away...*smile* But being a tourist isn't a bad thing - our economy needs you all!

Have a wonderful time!

Emi

Youre right Emi....its quite normal.

Now I dont wear my aloha wear every day....but a dinner out, church or other gathering I will.

And Dagtoking...even the newsreporters wear them on Aloha Friday!

Just got back from our fabulous week on the Pride of America! Yes, indeed! Aloha shirts and leis everywhere!! My DH wore ONLY Hawaiian shirts - even on formal night and he is the most conservative guy around! I don't think he will ever wear them again, except to parties, but he had a great time and didn't look out of place at all! I even saw him wear his shell lei a couple times - especially at the luau we went attended, and they gave him another one there and he wore them BOTH! He is usually SO conservative that it was fun seeing him relax and go with the flow! Most of the Hawaiian folks we met were also wearing flowered shirts and sandals! We didn't get matching shirts, but we both sported our share of flowery fashions! Those vintage shirts will be fabulous, I'm sure!

Aloha wear is our normal mode of dressing. It is appropriate business attire in almost every venue (except courtrooms). Church, funeral, wedding, etc. attendees wear aloha wear. I wear (along with sandals) aloha wear to work daily.

What normally sets the locals apart from our visitors is we (locals) tend to wear more subdued prints while visitors wear prints that are so bright they can severely damage your eyes. :cool:

I have a long review of our great week on The Pride of America that I posted on the Norwegian Cruise Line board. I will start a new thread and post it here on th Hawaii board. We had a TERRIFIC week! :)

My husband and I also wear aloha prints much of the time. I agree, the subdued prints are very popular...but you will see everything....everywhere. I think the thing that sets a tourist apart is shoes and SOCKS!!! Especially socks with shorts....YIKES!!! Leave the socks at home...and slip on the sandals while in the islands.

Archived