website for bus to Taormina

After alot of research I finally found a website for interbus so that you can access their bus schedule from Messina to Taormina.

Here it is: http://www.interbus.it/interbushtm/

Now if I could just understand italian!!! Still looking for the name of the train station in Messina that is close to the port. Anyone know?

:) yes, the interbus website is hard to read but it looks like the tripwould take 1hr 40mins so why not do the train? try the website trenitalia.com or something similar ..I remember this is the name of the Italian rr co...nothing to see in Messina so you will have to get out of town on arrival..

We rented a car for about $40 and had a great drive to Taormino. Would do this again in a heartbeat as driving on the Island is nothing like the cities (Rome or Naples).

Hello, If you can, could you tell me where you rented the car and how long it took you to get to Taromina. I would assume shorter time then train???? Also, was parking difficult in Taromina? Finally did you happen to see Naxos beach a little further down?

We used argusrentals.com for the car rental, which totaled 55.19 in US dollars. The drive to Taormina took approximately 30 minutes and there were two parking areas in the town. Driving in Taormina itself is tight with windy narrow streets, so you want to park at either Porta Cantania or Lumbi (readily marked in the town), where you insert Euro coin into a machine for a parking validation ticket.

After alot of research I finally found a website for interbus so that you can access their bus schedule from Messina to Taormina.

Here it is: www.interbus.it/interbushtm/

Now if I could just understand italian!!! Still looking for the name of the train station in Messina that is close to the port. Anyone know?

If you go to the website and open it, then right click, there is a category called "translate to English" that will convert the page for you. You may have to do this for all the categories, I am not sure. But you will at least be able to read some of it in English.

Davinci

We took the funicular from Taormina to the beach below. It was 3.5 E round trip for each of us. The beach was ok (water a little cool, but we were there the first week of June). Rented peddle boats and enjoyed exploring the coves for 12E (one hour was enough). The kids enjoyed it and it was a refreshing break away from the crowds.

We are on the Liberty next month which docks in Messina on a Sunday. We had hoped to rent a car and do the drive ourselves but it seems car rental agencies are closed on Sunday. Was hoping on not having to spend $$$ on a driver or taxi for the day. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

We are going to be boarding the Liberty in just a few days. I tried and tried to be able to do Taormina on our own....mostly because I want to stay as long as I want and not the 4 hrs that Liberty offers under the "taormina on your own" excursion. However.....after much research on car rentals (closed early on Saturday) trains & buses...it seemed to me that after I do all of that....I'm not going to have much more time there than the ship's excursion will allow PLUS I have the peace of mind of knowing that if there is a problem getting back.....we're the ship's responsibility.

This is the ONLY port that we are taking a ship excursion! Have a great trip!

:) I have booked the excursion from the Liberty"Taormina on your own."the cost is $59.00 p/p and the time is 6.5 hrs from 9:15 to 3:45...Considering the time in port 7am til 5pm I felt this was worth the money..I thought a nice scenic carefree bus ride will be a nice relaxing time since this cruise is so port intensive..remember the boat leaves at 5pm and you don't want to be running for a bus or train ...also this is your vacation of a lifetime ...many of us forget it is a vacation

Thanks for the "right click" to translate tip - didn't know about that. I was wondering if anyone can confirm what I think I've figured out about the bus from Giardini-Naxos, which is where I believe my ship (Oceania's Insignia) tenders, to Taormina. It looks like the bus runs along the main street next to the waterfront, stopping at a number of places, but I couldn't tell for sure. I know it stops at San Giovanni, which I found on a map (perhaps the train station east of town - I forget) but I want to be able to jump on it close to where the ship tender takes you. Does anybody know? If so, thanks!

Archived