Tram from Naples train station to the ship?

We will be visiting Herculaneum on our own via the Circumvesia train. I have heard that there is a tram that you can take (for free) to where the ship's are docked.

Can anyone tell me which stop to get off at the sation and how to get to the tram?

Thanks!

Although I haven't done this, I got directions from an information employee at the Naples train station week before last. We were going to try to use the tram but felt we needed to take a taxi so we didn't miss the ship.( My DH is YellowJacket1 and has written a pretty detailed review on this board about our "entertaining" taxi ride to the pier.) The employee told me that we could use the tram free if we had used our train ticket within 3 hours of the time we wanted to use the tram. He had directed us to a location near where the taxis wait just outside the train building and said it would take us right to the pier. Judging from the traffic we saw on our way back to the pier at approx 5pm we made the right decision to use a taxi. It costs us 15 euros from the station to the pier, btw.

Georgia Peach,

Do you have any advice on what time we should leave Pompei on the train to be back in Naples and back to the Jewel on time? How often does the train stop in Pompei and how long does it take to get to Naples? Thanks for your help!

I personally wouldn't do the train to Herculaneum. The bus leaves right from where the ship docks and stops right outside the gate to the ruins at Herculaneum. You get your ticket from the news stand accross the road from the ship and then go back onto the traffic island to catch the bus. The news vendor will tell you the number of the bus. The ride was abour 35 minutes.

Andy

Thanks for the advice. If we were only going to Herculaneum and back you are right....the bus is the better way. Howver the plan for the entire day is:

hydrofoil to Sorrento

train back to Naples with a stop at Herculaneum along the way

Tram from station to dock

(I'm still not sure where the tram is.....anyone know?)

Georgia Peach,

Do you have any advice on what time we should leave Pompei on the train to be back in Naples and back to the Jewel on time? How often does the train stop in Pompei and how long does it take to get to Naples? Thanks for your help!

I think if you plan on leaving Pompei around 4pm you should be okay. I believe there are 3 trains per hour and the ride is approx 30mins to the Naples train station. Depending on how you plan on getting back to the ship from the train station, keep in mind that the traffic will be awful late afternoon. I'm pretty sure that we'd just missed the train leaving around 4pm, had to take the next one and that made our timing to the ship a bit tight. We hadn't allowed time for lines at the bathroom and for a few extra minutes to get to the other side of the tracks to get to the right train.

We walked to the train station (about 30 minutes) and took the train to Herculaneum. You'll purchase a ticket for Erculano (something that starts with an "E" and rhymes with Herculeaneum. It's the same train that continues on to Sorrento, so don't be confused if the train ticket person uses that word.

Train was a delightful ride, realizing it was a commuter train. All kinds of people, children, and packages (instruments, luggage, etc.) being transported by passengers. Ride was about 20 minutes where we got off at Erculano and walked to Herculaneum. Ticket cost for 4 was about 10 Euro for the train.

Train was a delightful ride, realizing it was a commuter train. All kinds of people, children, and packages (instruments, luggage, etc.) being transported by passengers.

Thanks for reinforcing my decision to take the train. Cruising can really insulate you from the local people, and things like this are important to me.

Archived