The lowdown on Carnival's "formal" night(s)!

We will be on a Carnival ship (Liberty) cruising the Med soon. If you are the type of passenger that doesn't want to dress in gowns or "cocktail" dress and you just want to be "dressy casual" as you are other nights....would you feel out of place?

Although we have been on many cruises before....this will be our first on Carnival. And I have always "glammed" it up in the past. But for some reason I just feel like I don't want to go to the trouble....especially because this itinerary is so excursion intense....I just want to relax!

However...I don't want to do so if I'll be sticking out like a sore thumb and only be allowed to eat dinner at the buffet!!!!

What is the scoop on Carnival's formal nights?

on the liberty last week on the formal nights alot og people were dressed up but there were lots of folks dressed semi casual ie guys in dockers and golf shirts ,the second formal night was much more casual i also noticed people were not as dressed as they are on caribean cruises .i think maybe the longer cruise and the fact you are so busy in port makes it harder to come back and get all dressed up for dinner

on the liberty last week on the formal nights alot og people were dressed up but there were lots of folks dressed semi casual ie guys in dockers and golf shirts ,the second formal night was much more casual i also noticed people were not as dressed as they are on caribean cruises .i think maybe the longer cruise and the fact you are so busy in port makes it harder to come back and get all dressed up for dinner

It was just the opposite on our cruise (May 19th). I felt like there were more people dressed up than on the other cruises I've been on, and the people seemed even dressier. I saw a lot more tuxes and really fancy dresses. I thought it might have had something to do with the fact that the crowd on the whole seemed older and perhaps a tiny bit wealthier than past CCL cruises I've been on.

No flames please, I'm basing that thought on the fact that the cruise was longer, more expensive and for most people involved pricey airfare as well. Our airfare alone was more than I've paid for any cruise in the past.

There seemed to be a bit of everything on formal night. The majority of men wore suits, but there were some in tuxes and some without a suit jacket. Most women wore cocktail type dresses but there were some long gowns and women in pantsuits. Because of the length of the cruise and packing limitations with overseas air travel, people didn't dress with as much variety (on 12 nights one is free to repeat, repeat, repeat as dress clothes don't get worn very long). Everyone was dressed tastefully and I don't think any of these options would be out of place.

I would guess it just depends on the cruise itself. I was on the Liberty in August and it seemed to me that more people dressed up than any other cruise I've ever been on. More women dressed 'semi formal' to formal than the men. There were some dressed in 'resort casual' but by and far most did the night justice as a 'special night'.

Archived