Mercury

babyg

I was on the Mercury to Alaska in last month and stayed in SS 1221. I had the opportunity to get a look in 1237 as well. Some observations:

1237 has a full deck - no cutouts as on some other SS decks. All the SS verandahs are HUGE - you will absolutely love it! You will have 4 lounge chairs, 1 square side table, 2 regular deck chairs and a nice-sized round table suitable for having meals on, should you wish to dine outside. You will be close to the butler's pantry, so your suite will probably be the first to be visited at 4:00PM for tea and snacks, as well as at 5:15ish for evening hors d'oeuvres. The butler will wheel a cart loaded with goodies and make his way down the hall. I'm almost positive you will have Rasti - he's young, very sweet - go through him if you have any needs or requests. He will see to everything.

You will most likely experience soot on the verandah furniture. The suite is aft of the smoke stack, and I found that by the 4rd day or so, there were small black spots on the lounge cushions. Bring this to either Rasti's or Virginia's (the suite attendant) attention, and they will replace the cushions with clean ones.

All in all, the 12th deck is very quiet. Not much pax traffic. I enjoyed this very much. There should be practically no noise from the outside deck 13 above, since there are signs posted that there is no running or jogging allowed up there, but ocassionally you will hear the pitter patter of children's feet. Don't worry, it's boring for them on that level and they will in all likelihood not return up there. You will be near the elevators and stairs - a quick run down one deck to the buffet!

I counted 20 drawers in the suite, plus a double closet that goes down to the floor, as well as a half-closet for shirts and blouses.

The bathroom has a very neat two-shelf mirrored vanity behind the toilet, room to store items under the sink, a telephone, and even a scale! Believe me, you will have more than enough room to store your things.

One of the most enjoyable things I did while in a sky suite was throw a small get-together while viewing Hubbard Glacier. I had Rasti issue invitations to a few couples I met while onboard, then he helped me plan the party. It was fun hearing the doorbell ring and welcoming guests with champagne and little plates of cheese, crackers, potato chips and chocolates! The champagne I smuggled myself when I embarked - Rasti provided ice buckets and glasses. He also brought in the pickings - no charge. I was grateful for his assistance, and tipped him $20 after the party. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it - for one, it is extremely difficult to get space at the railing on the public decks during the time you're at the glacier, so having that big, private verandah was a huge hit. Also, people will love the opportunity to get a peek at a sky suite - two of the couples I invited proceeded to book one for their next cruise!

Well, I've gone on enough here - I hope this helps you to have the best cruise ever. If you have any questions, drop me your email address and I will try to answer them. Please tell Rasti and Virginia that Roxanne says hello!

Archived