Jeep rental suggestions

momofslg

We are wanting to rent a jeep when we are in Aruba. The day we arrive there will be 2 other ships in port. Should we reserve a jeep before we leave or will we be able to rent one at the pier? Who should we rent from and how much $$$ should we expect to pay?

• 2 weeks later...

We rented from American Car Rental last week in Aruba. I did everything in advance over the internet. We had a relatively short walk to their booth once the ship docked. They had all my information and the jeep was waiting in a lot behind the rental company booths. The prices for a jeep were $75, $85, and $95, depending on the jeep. We rented a regular 4x4 and it was $75. They offer supplemental insurance for $10 and $20. Sportier model jeeps are available at the higher prices. All of the jeeps have air conditioning. We requested automatic and received one. The jeep was in fairly good condition. I would definately rent from them again.

The pros far outweighed the cons. We got to see so much of the island. My FIL and I drove around to various spots attempting to wade fish. Saw some beautiful water, no fish though, got to go off-road - plenty of opportunities by California Lighthouse and south along the coast from the lighthouse.

The only drawbacks to driving yourself/renting a jeep: bizarre street signs and few speed limit signs, VERY few traffic lights with a lot of traffic (mainly in Oranjestad), very few gas stations (there was a Valero just northwest of the ship area and there were a few to the west by the hotels and resorts; also a few on the way to Baby Beach, which is way out of the way and doesn't offer much), had to return the jeep by 5:00, no windows = no leaving valuables in jeep.

Note: all gas stations are full service and gas is priced in liters. You have to return the vehicle with the same amount of gas that you received. Just over a quarter tank for the jeep was $20.

The rental agency's website is http://www.american-car-rental.com

Archived