Xtreme Cave tubing- a little disappointing

dsclark

In a nutshell, we left fifteen minutes earlier than planned, since all were present for the tour, yet made it back only a minute before the 4:15pm deadline to get back on tender. Some of this was our guides fault, some due to our group.

Dorrell told us repeatedly that time was not a problem. His credibilty was questionable when I noticed that he had no watch! Aggravating things was his doing 10 miles below the speed limit both ways.

Things that were not Xtreme's fault:

The caves were really, really, really crowded. We were up against people from the Glory ship tours as well as the Explorer of the Seas.

We had some super stupid people in our group. One older couple kept slowing us down, complaining about the hike. The just had to light up a cigarette every fifteen minutes!

Our tour guide also had to spend a lot of time taking care of one woman who should never had been on this woman. This woman can't swim and she is afraid of water! Her hubby even joked that water deeper than found in her bath tub freaks her out! Criminiy! My wife is afraid of hikes- do you think I'd take her mountain climbing?

WHy were these fools on my tour? Please, for consideration of others who pay dearly for this excursion, if you can't do it, DON'T BOOK IT!

Now, the hike- honestly, I thought it was great! Not only is it beautiful (get there early and you might see a Macaw in the trees), it smells great, like fresh garden mulch. You are walking in an area that is close to sea level, with lots of fresh oxygen being produced. If you are out of breath there, post cruise, get some exercise!

I'd say that 30% of the problems with this tour were do to all the people on ships excursions clogging up the caves. Sixty percent was due to people in my group who had no business being there.Some people have too much pride to admit that that are less than fit and for that, others must suffer. The other 10% was due to the slow drivng and time keeping of our driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for an honest review! What was the name of your tour guide? We are going to try to make sure we are with a group that are at least as fit as we are. Also none of us smoke and don't want to have to smell someone else who does:eek: Any way we can avoid most of these problems? Will we be able to book and know these things in advance. Think we will try Marvin with Wet and Wild, have heard nothing but really good about him.

Thanks,

Gayle

Grand Princess

7 days 4 Dec 2004

Archived