Irons onboard

I just called RCL and they said that there are no irons in the staterooms. :eek: Are you allowed to take a travel iron? She didnt know but assumed the answer was no. :cool: Of course, they will be happy for a $$$ to iron all your clothes.

On my very recent cruise on HAL, irons are strictly forbidden, but there is access to iron and ironing board (we didn't need it -- used our hairdryer to attack wrinkles).

However, on the RCL Voyager in Oct. 2004, I took a travel iron because the preliminary brochure/instructions stated that "the use of irons is not encouraged," or some language to that effect, not actually FORBIDDING a travel iron. I left it in plain sight on the dresser and received nary a mention from the wonderful cabin steward.

I checked the prices to have all my stuff ironed (HAL), and the price was very reasonable. In view of the amount I was spending on the whole cruise, it would have been a small sum by comparison and I would have gone for it if needed.

:D

On my very recent cruise on HAL, irons are strictly forbidden, but there is access to iron and ironing board (we didn't need it -- used our hairdryer to attack wrinkles).

However, on the RCL Voyager in Oct. 2004, I took a travel iron because the preliminary brochure/instructions stated that "the use of irons is not encouraged," or some language to that effect, not actually FORBIDDING a travel iron. I left it in plain sight on the dresser and received nary a mention from the wonderful cabin steward

I checked the prices to have all my stuff ironed (HAL), and the price was very reasonable. In view of the amount I was spending on the whole cruise, it would have been a small sum by comparison and I would have gone for it if needed.

:D

This subject has been argued and discussed ad nauseam many times in the past, including a thread only a few weeks ago.. The simple answer is:NO, passengers are not allowed to bring irons onboard.

While a room steward may turn a blind eye to this practice, it is definitely against RCI and Celebrity policy to allow them because they are considered fire hazards.

The RCI 2005-2006 Cruise Vacation Planners Travel Agent Guide in its FAQ section has the following language: Question: Can I bring my own iron onboard? Answer: No. For safety reasons irons are not permitted.

Celebrity's guide is more succinct in answering the same question. Answer: NO.

Before this once again degenerates into a series of posts comparing the relative safety of irons as opposed to cigarettes etc. can we simply close out this thread by agreeing that RCI policy does not permit passengers to bring irons on board. :)

I just called RCL and they said that there are no irons in the staterooms. :eek: Are you allowed to take a travel iron? She didnt know but assumed the answer was no. :cool: Of course, they will be happy for a $$$ to iron all your clothes.

If you called RCL to ask about irons, why wouldn't you have asked if you could take travel irons? THE ANSWER IS NO. We have things pressed all the time and the price is very reasonable. If you don't want to pay to have things pressed, pack them in plastic bags that you get from the dry cleaner (that's what we do with most items.) or take along the spray to remove wrinkles. I agree about not getting into a discussion regarding cigarettes, candles etc on this thread.

Remember, cruises are not all-inclusive.

Last year I was on Carnival Valor and there were laundry rooms on each floor with washers, dryers and iron and ironing board......waited 20 minutes to iron my formal dress!!!!

Taking a steamer this year with me!

There are numerous reasons why not to bring an iron:

* You are on vacation and ironing is work.

* Wasting space in luggage (that could be another pair of shoes).

* Possibility of causing a hazard to others with a fire.

* Wasting space in cabin.

* The prices are good.

Why not pack using the roll method along with dry cleaning bags. I travel extensively for work and don't bring one or worry about them in the hotels anymore. There are many ways to avoid wrinkles when packing.

Also, Downey Wrinkle Release is good and it comes in smaller bottles now (Walmart).

We get our things pressed on board as well. Truly, it is only a few dollars and they do a wonderful job. (better than I do:D ) It's your vacation, indulge in a little pampering and send your clothes out to be pressed while you enjoy an extra half hour in the hot tub or strolling on deck.;)

I honestly was not aware that you cannot bring travel iron. I have been on seven RCL cruises and have brought one each time and a portable ironing board as well.

When I am through with the iron I unplug it and put on bathroom sink until it is cool. I then Store it on one of the bathroom shelves. I have never had a problem.

However, I want to abide by the rules and next year on the Liberty will probably bring a steamer.

Archived