Back from the Spirit June 18th-24th

willzmom

nomorebocci- how do the reservations work for Windows? For what times can you make reservations? and when can they be made? We have done freestyle before and were caught in the trap of always standing in line at 7:30- we sure did not learn quickly! Thanks

Thanks for the comments, nomorebocci.

This is the first I've read about half price for Cagney's. I have been researching ahead so I can plan my reservations for the 7/16 voyage, but have seen conflicting information on which nights offer half price for early dining, and which nights have which themes. If you can remember these details, would love to hear.

Many thanks:)!

I just looked back thru my Freestyle Daily's and I didn't see Cagney's for half price. Several people in our party at there and said it was delicious. There were several nights that Shogun and Le bistro were half price-at least 3 nights. Every night in Windows has a theme. My recommendation is to read the Freestyle the night before to see which resturants are half price, then as you make your way to breakfast the next morning the menu will be out for dinner in Windows and the Garden Room. You will then be able to make your reservations after breakfast. We never had a problem doing this. Hope this helps. I'm so jealous-wish we were going again.

Willzmom, thanks very much for checking for me. My hope was to make my reservations for the week the first day. I wanted to catch half price in Le Bistro for Carribean night, and maybe try La Trattoria another night. Hopefully, I'll work it out, but quite honestly I'll be happy no matter what.

DH and I did the one night on the Spirit last November, and fell in love with her. We are very excited to be going again, and are very easy to please. I am really enjoying all the positive reviews the Spirit has been getting. It sounds like you and your gang had a ball!

Willzmom:

What exactly happened on your tender back to the ship from the private island? Heard no one was hurt but people were on that ramp when it let loose.

We were on the tender behind you, trying to get back on the ship before it rained again but it started pouring about a 1/4 way back. The it stopped while your's was having the trouble (which we didn't know about at the time) and we couldn't understand what was taking it so long to unload. We bobbed in rough seas, rain pouring and salt water being blown in our eyes for at least 15-20 minutes. Then everyone started going down to the lower deck of the tender and people down there all moving to one side to avoid the waves and rain. Could have tipped! People on the decks and balconys cheered us on when we finally made it back to the ship. They really need a better evacuation plan when it rains. Quite a scary experience getting back to the ship and they did have towels waiting for us.

NoMoreBocci: You sound like me who is riding around in my car playing a Bob Marly CD trying to relive life on the pool deck!!!

Karen,

Yes, there is a three prong 110 outlet by the mirror on the desk.

We used this for our hairdryer and during the day I plugged my camera battery charger in there. One outlet seem sufficient for us.

If more than one person wants to dry their hair, just use that outlet (any hairdryer will work) and the one built in the bathroom not all that bad.

Willzmom:

What exactly happened on your tender back to the ship from the private island? Heard no one was hurt but people were on that ramp when it let loose.

We were on the tender behind you, trying to get back on the ship before it rained again but it started pouring about a 1/4 way back. The it stopped while your's was having the trouble (which we didn't know about at the time) and we couldn't understand what was taking it so long to unload. We bobbed in rough seas, rain pouring and salt water being blown in our eyes for at least 15-20 minutes. Then everyone started going down to the lower deck of the tender and people down there all moving to one side to avoid the waves and rain. Could have tipped! People on the decks and balconys cheered us on when we finally made it back to the ship. They really need a better evacuation plan when it rains. Quite a scary experience getting back to the ship and they did have towels waiting for us.

NoMoreBocci: You sound like me who is riding around in my car playing a Bob Marly CD trying to relive life on the pool deck!!!

Tinker,

When we got on the tender it was okay, about half way back it started to rain. We were on the bottom and the rain was blowing in but it wasn't as bad as the people on the top were getting. The tender seemed to be having trouble getting close enough to the Spirit, at that time the water was getting pretty rough. They finally got the ropes tied off-people were cheering for us too. Then after the top deck got off we were bottom heavy and the tender was really moving around-the gangway pulled away and the poor guy holding on to it almost fell in! We FINALLY got off with the help of the additional crew holding onto us. As I said, it was an adventure but I could have done without it with my 6 year old on board! I think you're right, they need an alternate plan when the weather is bad or the sea is rough. I also would have felt much better if wee had been given lifejackets-at least offered them. I would have definately put one on my son-who thought it was great fun by the way! I heard later about your tender and that some people were left on the island until 2:30 am! Jam to some Marley for me-I miss the music on the pool deck too!

I was so worried about the freestyle because I was with my kids & grandkids and wanted to eat with them every night same time same place. So the minute I got on board I asked for the Maitre D of Windows, found him, and told him I wanted reservations for the same table by the window for 6 people every night at 5:30. Then we just walked in every night, past the long lines of people. I recommend you do that.

Also, we had a coupon book from MasterCard that had 1/2 price on Cagney's & LeBistro for the first night only. We used that for the first night, and then ate at Windows the other nights. If you booked your trip with a MasterCArd, they gave you a coupon book.

We found the food to be just fine, I can't believe the negative reviews. We were very pleased with the food and the service.

Let me know if you have any other questions. nomorebocci

nomorebocci

thanks for the info-- I wonder if I could arrange to have reservations at a later time?

I only have a week before sailing and your positive review is good to hear aout now!

What is the difference between Cagney's and leBistro? All I ever see anyone mention is the fondue at leBistro. Which would you recommend, if we only choose one? (We have a semi-vegetarian with us; my DD eats fish and chicken but no red meat.)

Also, we had a coupon book from MasterCard that had 1/2 price on Cagney's & LeBistro for the first night only. We used that for the first night, and then ate at Windows the other nights. If you booked your trip with a MasterCArd, they gave you a coupon book.

Can you eat anytime with the 1/2 price coupon?

What is the difference between Cagney's and leBistro? All I ever see anyone mention is the fondue at leBistro. Which would you recommend, if we only choose one? (We have a semi-vegetarian with us; my DD eats fish and chicken but no red meat.)

Here is a link to some Dawn specialty menus. I think they're mainly the same, and should give you an idea.

http://www.cruisingreview.com/6204041901.html

Cagney's is a steakhouse, LeBistro is a French restaurant.

Archived