Maximizing Points on Celebrity AMEX

SheilaNC

Has anyone done the math to determine the best use of points in terms of dollars saved? It seems to us that saving for the free cruise is a better return. What we're wondering is if you can apply the $2500 value of the cruise to a cruise at a higher level (in other words, if the points would be a

OV cabin, could you pay additional and obtain a balcony or suite? Thanks for your help. We're half way there and beginning to dream.:) BruinSteve - are you out there?? You usually have such info and I've come to depend on you:confused:;)

Hi Everyone - Glad You Asked This Question As I'm Someone Who Has Cashed In 125,000 Pts. Thinking That $2,500.00 Would Be Applied Against My Cruise. Naturally, We Always Book Suites And Were Under The Impression That The Whole $2,500.00 Would Apply . We Were Shocked To Learn That They Only Apply The Value Of The Cheapest Oceanview Cabin Towards The Price Of The Cabin.

Now , Let Me Ask You , How Often On Caribbean Cruises Do You Get Oceanview Cabins That Sell For 1,250.00 Per Person ?? I Find This Policy Of Celebrity Extremely "chintzy" . If Your Spending Lot's Of Money On Their Credit Card - - They Really Are Not Giving You A Value Of $2,500.00 Towards A Cabin If You Book Their Highest Coupon. We Love The Celebrity Product , But This Is A Policy That Should Be Reviewed And Revised .

BrandyLanes...

With whom did you discuss this issue? We would like to try to do something about this interpretation BEFORE we cash in OR we'll book at 75,000 points and be sure to book at cabin that cost $1500/per person to get around it. No point in continuing to save if the reward is not valued at $2500. Anyone else working on this or have communication with Celebrity about it??

Dear "spengl" - All You Have To Do Is Talk To Someone At Captains Club For Clarification. I Do Not Like The Rules - - But I Now Understand Them Very Clearly . Here Is How They Work.

At 125,000 Pts - - You Can Apply Your Voucher Against Any Cabin Up To A Maximum Value Of $2,500.00 . However , Just Suppose That You Wanted A Balcany Cabin And The Cheapest Oceanview Cabin Available On The Sailing Was $950.00 Per Person -- Then You Would Get A Credit Of Only $1,900.00 And You Would Pay The Difference Between The $1,900.00 And What You Booked. ( You Would Not Get The Credit Of $2,500.00 That You Thought That You Were Entitled ) Over The Years , How Often Do You Find A Oceanview Cabin In The Caribbean Valued At $1,250.00 . Yes - It Might Happen On Very Very Very Few Occassiions. But , Why Annoy Good Customers Like This.

At 75,000 Pts - At This Level The Credit Is Only For The 2nd Person. So Again Suppose You Wanted A Balcany Cabin That Was Vauled At $ 1,750.00 , But The Cheapest Oceanview On The Sailing Was Only $1,050.00 . Guess What , You Would Get The Credit Of $1,050.00 Against Your Balance Owing. ( Not The $1,500.00 You Thought You Were Going To Get )

Go Back To The Rules On Each Level , Read The Fineprint Carefully And Then Talk To Captain's Club . Sad To Say - - But You Will Find That I Am 100% Correct. I Expressed To The Captain's Club Myself , That While I Now Understand Their Policy , I Asked Them To Pass Onto Upper Management That The Policy Is Extremely Chintzy And Will Make High End Spenders Go Use Other Cards.

I have no doubt that you're correct. And I certainly agree that it's not only chintzy but false advertising. I'm sure that they'd rather you 'cash' in the points for onboard credit which is not nearly as good a deal. Guess we'll go back to saving Marriott points - at least then we get free rooms.

Found several 2007 Caribbean cruises with OV close to 2500 for two or 1500 for one. Might try doing that and paying for an upgrade. Or just booking and seeing if it truly is an almost free cruise. Need to amass more points first but with the double points and another cruise coming up shouldn't be a problem :)

Sheila,

I don't know if ANYONE, even the folks at Celebrity/RCCL even know the answer...

I have both a RCCL Visa and a Celebrity Amex...but, having had the RCCL Visa much longer, I'm almost to the "free cruise" level...and have actually booked a cruise for June 2007 for which I plan on using those points.

Before I booked, I read a number of threads over on the RCCL board where people had received credit for the full $2,500 toward a balcony cabin...But, to be sure, I called two different people at RCCL (and kept the names and E-mail addresses) and verified with them that I would get the full $2500 (My balcony is costing $1650 per person...it may all wash since ocean views on this cruise are now selling for $1649, so that $1250 limit won't matter)...

I have read on these boards more recently that RCCL is now interpreting this restriction more conservatively. If they try to limit my award, I'm ready to call back all of the people I spoke with when I booked.

In my book, limiting the award to some arbitrary value of a window cabin is foolish...It's hard to figure out what that value is as prices fluctuate. AND it's bad PR...

The cruise line actually gets the value of the credit from the credit card company as a product of the amounts charged...the credit is based on 125,000 "points" which, aside from bonuses, represents $125,000 spent...So, RCCL gets the full value no matter what...

I guess if the cruise line insists on limiting the award, the answer would be to maximize the price...Only use it for cruises in the "high season"--when the price of a window cabin tops $1250...

Thanks, Steve....I always know that I can count on you for good info and to validate my thinking. So...we will keep growing our points and hope for the best. Look forward to an update from you re: how it all turns out with your RCCL cruise.

They probably use the phrase "up to a $2500 value" because that is the retail price of the room. Once I won a trip to Hawaii, before accepting I asked how much the plane tickets were worth. I was told they were $750 each, when I got my 1099 from AA, the seats were worth $2000 apiece. Go figure. Good luck with getting the most out of your points.

Happy Sailing!

Archived