Exchanging $$ to MXP

wdowns9

Should I exchange money prior to depature or while we are in Coz before we arrive in PDC? We will need MXP for admissions/parking/tips/food while we explore the mainland. Any recommendations on where to exchange $$? Thnks

Should I exchange money prior to depature or while we are in Coz before we arrive in PDC? We will need MXP for admissions/parking/tips/food while we explore the mainland. Any recommendations on where to exchange $$? Thnks

We have just returned from Coz and Calica. I would recommend using credit cards for anything possible and you can cash traveler checks on the ship through the Purser. You will get the best exchange rate when using credit cards. As an example when we were in Coz the exchange rate was $11.14 US to $100.00 pesos. If you use cash you will receive $10.00 to $100.00 pesos. You also need to be concerned about converting back to US before you leave. Do not worry about carrying MX Pesos.

The exchange rate is the same for credit cards or cash. And many places have a service charge for credit card purchases. Now, your credit card company will use the exchange rate at the moment that your credit card transaction is processed so it may differ than what it is at the time you actually purchase...ever so slightly. The rate has dropped since the elections last Sunday...they are now about 10.70 to 1. You do not need to convert unless you are going to purchase a very large dollar item. It just isn´t worth the extra effort for the extra cent or two. And if you really want some pesos, there are tons of little "combio" huts or exchange businesses all over the place. With very few exceptions, everyplace takes US dollars...just ask for your change in US if you prefer. And one last thing, we do not use US coins here...only the paper money.

• 3 weeks later...

We used Traveler's Cheques in PDC....there is an American Express booth on the corner of 5th Ave & Calle 6 that has the best exchange rate. Was 11.55 when we were there last month. Hope that helps!

Just a heads up on using credit cards---

Your credit company may issue a service charge for converting foreign currency on your statement. It is often a percentage of the transaction, which could offset any savings you may have received by using a credit card.

Thanks for the insight, with the downward trend in rates I'll wait til I get to Coz then change some $$ over as most of the people I've been dealing with want $$ vice MXP. Most credit cards are now charging a 3-5% surcharge to convert which takes a chunk. I remember you once got a better rate with c cards but now the banks want to make more money..

Archived