Dolphin Swim in Cozumel?

dderm

Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Do the Dolphin swim officials allow you to take your own photos of the experience? I thought I read somewhere that they did not allow it to "encourage" you to buy their official photos. It appears you did take you own photos (which is great). Where were these taken from?

Also, in your later photos of the Stingray Lagoon, what type of underwater camera did you use?

Thanks again,

Jim

(Anxiously awaiting our first cruise, Nov 13, 04 - Triumph)

The Dolphin area at Cozumel is surrounded by a huge platform area as you might see in some of the photo's. The encounters run off the far side of the platform opposite, or facing, the shore. They had no issue with us accompanying our children out there and watching and photographing them during the encounter. But we were not participating, I'm don't think you could participate and use a camera out there. As a participant you're standing in shallow water on a platform and occasionally swimming out into the lagoon. You'll have no place to set a camera down, and you'll need both hands. I'm relativly sure they would either want you to leave camera in locker or on dry part of platform, out of reach during the encounter if you're participating.

The photo's they take are OK and you may or may not want those. But you will want their video. It isn't terifically expensive in comparison to the encounter fee and they really do a great job. You'll be impressed how they have the customized video down to a science and do such a nice job.

Also, in your later photos of the Stingray Lagoon, what type of underwater camera did you use?

Thanks again,

Jim

(Anxiously awaiting our first cruise, Nov 13, 04 - Triumph)

I have a Minolta DiMage Xi digital camera with the option underwater marine case. I love the camera as it takes pretty nice pictures while being very small and easy to carry - although it is a bit bigger with the case. All the pictures on my site were taken with this camera - except for a couple cruiseline photographer pictures scanned in.

A HUGE thank you to Sherri at Conzumel Insider. She was able to work some kind of magic to make a semi-last-minute reservations for my daughters to swim with the dolphins in Cozumel. Not only that, but she called me from Cozumel to discuss possible options and make sure that things were just the way we wanted. Sherri and Jacquline replied promptly to my emailed questions. I really feel that I hit the lottery when I found Cozumel Insider through the boards and I HIGHLY recommend them!

I believe I read somewhere on these boards that the fee into Chankanaab is $12.00 for children as well as adults. Sorry, we only had adults in our group and I didn't pay attention. If you book through cozumelinsider.com, there are a few packages that include the entrance fee. If you just book the swim, you have to pay the entrance fee.

My husband and went last December and participated in the Dolphin Swin & Snorkel Adventure through RCCL. I am not a very good swimmer, but with the life jacket on the entire time I had no problems. I did have to "swim" out a little bit in order for the dolphin to pull me back in, but my "swimming" was just paddling with my arms and pulling myself far enough out. I don't think you have to really be a swimmer to do this.

They would not allow us to bring a camera of any kind with us (I had purchased an inexpensive underwater camera that they said I had to leave in the locker). I guess because my husband and I were both participating in this adventure there was no place to put the camera down and they said they did not want us to put anything into the water that the dolphins might try to eat and end up getting sick, hurt, etc.

Of course, there were two photographers (video and still) that did take our pictures. We bought the still pictures, but for some reason everyone in our group except me got included in the tape with the dolphin (we tried to ask them to lower the price, but it was a real hassle and we ended up not getting the video).

When we got back to the ship someone told us that they just took a taxi out to the park with no advance reservations, and were able to do the Royal Adventure for less money than we had paid for our Dolphin Swim & Snorkel. I don't know if it was luck that she was able to do this without an advance reservation or not, but she certainly saved an awful lot of money as opposed to paying RCCL for the tour (and on top of that, RCCL did not even offer the Royal Adventure, so she did even better).

Hope this helps!

How firm is Dolphin Discovery on the age limit? My son will be 8 two days after the day we are in Cozumel. We would really like to do the swim but if we can't we will be satisfied doing the encounter. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Kay

I keep hearing mised reports. Some people say you can take the camers, some say you can't. Also what time does the park open? We are doing the swim at 10 but our ship gets in at 7am and we have only til 6pm and we have alot we want to do after the swim.

I don't know when the park opens, but I do know that DW took a camera as an observer and took all the photos of our kids doing the dolphin swim from above, not on on the platform. I wasn't there, but looking at the photos it does look like there are people who are on the platform taking photos with their own camera. So, if you have a camera I would counsel you to bring it.

Sorry for reposting the same question here. I guess I'm getting a little impatient as we leave in less than a week. Whoo Hoo! Does the Dolphin Discovery stay firm with the age requirement of 8? My son will be 8, 2 days after we are there. Any comments?

In answer to all tough they are on the age limit, you can just tell them that he is eight, and no one will question you. And by all means, do the swim. We just returned, and our kids had a great time. Although it says an adult must accompany them, we had no problem just having our kids do it. The fee is less to get into the park for kids (I think it was $6, maybe $8), but the fee is well worth it. In addition to the dolphin swim, there is a small lagoon type swimming place for younger kids/non swimmers, there is a step-down area for snorkeling (the water gets deep fast there), and a raft further out to swim to. Decent snorkeling and a good place for beginners (they rent snorkeling equipment for $8). Waiters come around with drinks all day long, and the restaurant was good. We did buy the video, and it is really worth the money! We passed on the still pictures (you can take pictures if you are not doing the excursion). Also, there are really nice trails throughout the park, and we all had a great time there. Large (as in 3-4 ft) iguanas were meandering about, and the kids loved them. In addition, there is a snuba place, a miniature golf, snack bars, birds, etc. there. The park opens at 9 am (CT), and we stayed there until almost 4 (we were on the Triumph, we booked the 12:00 dolphin swim). Any questions, please ask.

WOW!!!!!

We just got home from a FANTASTIC vacation on the Glory! Sherri at CozumelInsider.com worked her magic and arranged for our daughters (10 and 14) to do the Royal Swim. It was a completely perfect, wonderful experience. And, at $125, it was significantly less expensive (even when you add on the $10 taxi ride and the $12 park fee) than the ship's price of $170. The ship group did the Dolphin Snorkle and, while it looked fun, I think the Royal Swim was the best value. The people at Dolphin Discovery didn't blink an eye at the girls participating without us and took wonderful care of them, making sure that they got the most out of the experience. My husband and I were able to stand on the walkway just above the girls (right next to the Dolphin Discovery photographer) and take some great pictures and videos. Our new friends, Pam and Mike, took their underwater camera in the water with them and got some great shots which they shared with us.

We'll remember that incredible day forever.

You must go with Sherri at Cozumel Insider. I tried Dolphin discovery months ago who put me on a wait list for 11/24. Sherri was able to confirm the Dolphin and the Sea Lion swims last week at the times I wanted. She is great about keeping in touch and is very patient about answering questions. Highly recommend her!!

i read somewhere that you can only use"dolphin safe" sunscreen while at the beach doing the "royal swim" Does anyone know if this is true.. i have some very pale kids that burn easily if not lathered up.what kind can we use? thanks for any info..

Archived