PORT BAG content ideas

LKJ

These are just a few ideas..............hopefully you'll have a few also that are your favorites.

With so many fun ports for New Zealand/ Australia, I'm going to make it easier on myself by packing a port bag at home before the trip. This sure saves time looking for things on a port day. Then, I can just drop it into whatever bag or backpack I take into port. I buy or create as many mini-sized things beforehand. My port bag has:

Insect repellant towelettes

Lotion/Sunscreen

Mini toilet paper pack + paper toilet seat covers

Small first aid kit with bandaids

Small supply of tyenol, cough drops,etc

Protein bar/ gum or energy snack

Water bottle that I fill up with water or juice on board

Collapsible sunhat or visor

Disposable rainproof poncho

Note pad and pens

Camera and extra memory cards

small hand sanitizer

Map

watch

These are just a few ideas..............hopefully you'll have a few also that are your favorites.

With so many fun ports for New Zealand/ Australia, I'm going to make it easier on myself by packing a port bag at home before the trip. This sure saves time looking for things on a port day. Then, I can just drop it into whatever bag or backpack I take into port. I buy or create as many mini-sized things beforehand. My port bag has:

Insect repellant towelettes

Lotion/Sunscreen

Mini toilet paper pack + paper toilet seat covers

Small first aid kit with bandaids

Small supply of tyenol, cough drops,etc

Protein bar/ gum or energy snack

Water bottle that I fill up with water or juice on board

Collapsible sunhat or visor

Disposable rainproof poncho

Note pad and pens

Camera and extra memory cards

small hand sanitizer

Map

watch

Hi,

Just a couple of things to drop from your list. Both New Zealand and Australia have very strict quarantine laws. You will not be able to take any food or drink off the ship. So take the water bottle empty (I think only sealed bottles of water are allowed), and fill it up on-shore. New Zealand especially is very happy to fine visitors who disregard the rules!

Australia and New Zealand are first world countries. The water is perfectly safe to drink from the tap, in fact in some of the places you visit is amongst the cleanest, safest water in the world.

Rest room facilities are normally pretty good, although better to be safe than sorry.

Which ship are you on? What month are you going?

Regards,

Steve.

Thank you so much Steve for the information. We are going on the Sapphire Princess Auckland to Sydney Feb 16 - 28, 2007. Definitely won't be taking water or a snack ashore! Will have 2 days in Auckland to start out with and 2 days in Sydney to wrap up the trip. Very excited about the trip.

Thank you so much Steve for the information. We are going on the Sapphire Princess Auckland to Sydney Feb 16 - 28, 2007. Definitely won't be taking water or a snack ashore! Will have 2 days in Auckland to start out with and 2 days in Sydney to wrap up the trip. Very excited about the trip.

Great time of year to go. The weather is at its most stable. Nice and warm on the North Island of NZ and a good chance for nice weather on the South Island. Some layered clothing might still be a good idea for Milford Sound etc. The weather in Australia will range from mild in Tasmania to possibly quite hot in Melbourne and Sydney.

You also have the best chance of a good crossing from NZ to Tasmania and across Bass Straight from Tasmania to Melbourne. These waters can be rough at any time of year, so if you suffer from sea sickness, please take precautions.

Don't forget our 'hole in the ozone layer' here in the Southern Hemisphere. Use lots of sunscreen and you'll be fine.

I know everyone thinks Australia is insect 'hell', but this really only applies to the outback and the tropical areas. The cities you are visiting should be pretty bug-free. (certainly by our standards;) .)

Have a fantastic trip.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve's right about the quarantine issues, my sister in law arrived here from the UK a couple of years ago and forgot she had an apple in the bottom of her bag [given to her on the flight from Singapore] and coming through the airport checks at Auckland this was found and she got an instant, no arguing fine of $200, welcome to NZ she thought. So beware.

The two days in Auckland pre cruise will make all the difference, give you chance to get over the flight and have a look around the city, lots to do for sure.

If you need any info regarding your first port of call here in Tauranga would be pleased to help. Regards Ian [Tauranga].

Both New Zealand and Australia have very strict quarantine laws. You will not be able to take any food or drink off the ship.
The quarantine laws are indeed very strict, and they are not to be trifled with.

However, they don't prohibit the importation of all food. Generally, commercially produced cooked food that is still sealed in its original wrapping is acceptable. So, for example, biscuits (cookies) and chocolates should be fine. I frequently bring food as gifts from the UK to Australia. I have also brought fruit/nut snack bars in to both countries with no problems. (But loose fruit is no good, and I think that honey is unacceptable even if it's commercially produced.)

But the key is this: You must declare the item. You must give customs a chance to look at it and decide whether it's acceptable or not, and be prepared to give it up for destruction if it isn't.

Honesty is no problem. But be prepared to be fined for forgetfulness or evasion.

• 4 months later...

Sometimes I carry a few pieces of candied ginger in a zip lock bag to eat to ease an upset stomach. It's especially good for motion sickness caused by an excursion, like a boat ride or car travel that's on a winding road.

My question is this: Would an open package of candied ginger be in any way considered a quarantined item to take along? I suppose we'll find out earlier because we're going to Thailand 1st before coming down to NZ/Australia.

Archived