What is appropriate dress for afternoon tea on QM2?

judyzoo

What ever you want! Somedays I wore casual sport and for a couple of days I wore my bermuda shorts and a top over my dry swim suit cause I had been out on deck. The QM is a place to feel at home, and be comfy...as well as all dressy and la la! Just enjoy it and just "be!"

Is it resort casual, or more dressy, or something else?

Resort casual is as fine as a jacket or similiar. The room is very elegant as are the celebration and the stewards.

While some people might choose to wear them, shorts, swim suits and similiar are not appropriate for formal tea.

Are you asking for information for the QE2 or the QM2?

It sort of depends. I have heard tea on the QE2 is much more formal and orchestrated than on the QM2.

Then on the QM2 you need to define if you are doing Tea in the Queens Room or the Queens Grill Lounge. Queens Room is for pax in the Britannia Dining Room while the Queens Grill Lounge is (currently) for pax in Grill (Queen and Princess) restaurnants. The Grill Lounge is probably a bit more formal (understated elegance) as the room is smaller and more intimate and formal.

Also another post mentioned that Westbound Crossings tended to be a tad more formal (thanks to the pax influence) vs the Eastbound Crossings (more casual Americans onboard).

On Cunard, you can be as formal/dressy as you want on a Crossing. The opposite (jeans or shorts) would definately not be appropriate. But no one will throw you out .. it may make you feel like you should have planned your wardrobe better!

Judy, I am going to assume you are going on a Caribbean cruise on the QM2 rather than a crossing. If that is the case, resort casual would be a good way to describe the dress for afternoon tea. Most women will have on crop or capri pants or a skirt. Most gentlemen will wear long pants and a collared shirt. Caribbean cruises are not as formal as crossings. If you are going on a crossing, the dress for afternoon tea will be much dressier.

I've been to tea in the Queens Room and the Queens Grill Lounge on three QM2 voyages, including a Caribbean cruise and a westbound transatlantic. On each of them, teas were EXTREMELY CASUAL, and I don't think there's a single person on board who changes his/her clothes for tea (except, perhaps, out of a bathing suit).

Very few people wore shorts to tea on the transatlantic, but I think that's only because it's not warm enough (in May/June anyway). Jeans were ubiquitous on the westbound TA (even for breakfast and lunch in the QG).

Unless my westbound transatlantic in Queens Grill was a total fluke, the prevailing dress was definitely way more casual than "country club casual," although people dressed up for dinner. I think it's disingenuous to tell people that "country club casual" and "shirts with collars," etc., are expected, when that's really not the way it is. After reading these boards for months before my transatlantic, I was very surprised to see how casual the dress actually was.

Hmmmmmmmmm, as I thought might happen, there’s a bit of difference of opinion on this subject; but I guess to sum it up I can’t go wrong as long as I don’t wear shorts (or, of course, a swimsuit).

To clarify, I’m asking about QM2 (not QE2; I’ve done afternoon tea on a TA on the QE2, so have a little experience with that); and yes, I’m asking about a Caribbean cruise; and I guess it will be in the Queens Room, as we’ll be Britannia passengers.

Good Luck

(Just please, for the love of all that is holy, don't ask about ...dare I say it...JEANS aboard the QM2)

(see previous gazillion posts!)

No, no, no; I wouldn't ask about that. Much more than enough on these boards about jeans, already! A topic that has been totally beaten to death (I wish it was dead enough to never reappear).

Castlewood you are oh so right. I informed my husband before our QM2 cruise to wear only "business casual" during the day, since my last trip on QE2 8 years ago was all about being proper. What an absolute shock it was to see what the true dress code was amongst the passengers. (This was both eastbound and westbound). The dressing "down" phenomena of our country has permeated thru everything. Heck, if you can wear jeans and shorts to church, why not on Cunard? Of course, I still think people should be encouraged to take the high road here and mimick their European counterparts (only the adults mind you), but they should know the truth. Tunics and pants for formal night was a standard, and day wear included flip flops, jeans, shorts, exposed belly buttons, and baseball caps.

Archived