Pride Cruise to Norway and British Isles starting 8/31

Missabby

My wife and I are booked on the Pride’s 8/31 sailing from Copenhagen to Norway and the British Isles. After receiving our information booklet from Seabourn last Friday and reading about the upcoming excursions, something about our day in Ulvik and Eidfjord, Norway didn’t add up.

We usually research the towns, villages and cities we will visit to determine what we want to go see and do, and whether we want to take a ship’s excursion or head out on our own. According to Seabourn’s web site, on Tuesday, September 5th we sail to Ulvik in the morning and stay there from 8-noon and reposition to Eidfjord in the afternoon, staying there from 2-7 PM. Googling on Ulvik reveals that it is located just north of the mouth of the Sognefjord (and north of Bergen). Eidfjord is located at an end of the Herdangerfjord (and south and east of Bergen). This is certainly much more than a 2-hour sail.

Does Seabourn really mean Ålvik instead of Ulvik? Given Ålvik’s location well-into the Hardangerfjord and the descriptions of the excursions, this makes sense. Both the web site and our cruise information booklet say Ulvik but that just doesn’t make sense. I sent Seabourn an e-mail thru their web site; however, I don’t know if I will receive a reply.

Seabourn may not have a type-case or font that can make the " Å " letter. Here in Greenland where a lot of Danish is spoken (and Danish is almost the same as Norwegian), Å 's are usually replaced with U's -
but call them just to make sure...

Thanks, thulewx. We are also going to Ålesund, which Seabourn spells on their web site and information booklet as Aalesund. Somehow they did not misspell that as Ulesund, but then I have no claim in understanding the finer points of the Norwegian language.

If I get no reply to my e-mail, I’ll give them a call.

Missabby,

Sorry, I don't know what chart you are using, but Ulvik is at the head of a north-running branch (called Ulviksfjord) of Eidfjord, which itself runs eastward from Hardangerfjord. Eidfjord is at the head of its eponymous fjord.

Seabourn uses the double-a method of spelling Norwegian names with Norse diacritical marks, i.e. Aalesund.

bgood

[url]http://www.fallingrain.com/world/NO/15/Ulvik.html[/url]

versus....

[url]http://www.fallingrain.com/world/NO/7/Alvik.html[/url]

Also....check the thread on Pride's pier location you started. I posted a question there, too.

Thanks!

There are more than a few cases of two or more places in Norway with the same name. Seabourn Pride has been calling at Ulvik for years and they always answer the phone "Ulvik." The towns around it on my map are Hjeltnes, Aurdal, Lindebrekke...

Try [url]www.bergen-guide.com[/url] and select "Ulvik" from the menu "Other municipals."

bgood

[quote name='bgood']There are more than a few cases of two or more places in Norway with the same name. Seabourn Pride has been calling at Ulvik for years and they always answer the phone "Ulvik." The towns around it on my map are Hjeltnes, Aurdal, Lindebrekke...

Try [url]www.bergen-guide.com[/url] and select "Ulvik" from the menu "Other municipals."

bgood[/QUOTE]
Interesting.... Thank you. I'll wait and see what plays out when we get there!

[quote name='bgood']Missabby,

Sorry, I don't know what chart you are using, but Ulvik is at the head of a north-running branch (called Ulviksfjord) of Eidfjord, which itself runs eastward from Hardangerfjord. Eidfjord is at the head of its eponymous fjord.

Seabourn uses the double-a method of spelling Norwegian names with Norse diacritical marks, i.e. Aalesund.

bgood[/quote]

Bgood You are correct !
And Info to Misabby.---;)
Pride will first enter Hardangerfjord then up to Ulvik for anker in the fjord 08.00-noon ( tender service )at a very tiny small place with a wiew to a grand white hotel and an old church all sorroundings are high mountains after this --Pride is sailing a fantastic and great sight trough the fjord to Eidfjord where they have a new pier in front of a newly build hotel, this place is also very small. may i suggest You take the small 4 seater waterplane :eek: for a trip (30 Minutes ) over the Hardangervida and the glacier , a fantastic view.

Finally in Scandinavia we use/have extra letters in the alfabet
Æ = AE. Ø =OE. Å =AA the origin is old nordic and often used in Norway and Denmark.
T&T

Archived