Westerdam Sept 24th-Formal night?

meanestmom

Hi meanestmom,

We'll be getting off the westerdam as you board.

I seriously doubt that they would have a formal night on a one-nighter.

Unless your documents say formal, I'm sure this will be a casual night in the dining room. Did your TA tell you it was formal?

It's too much trouble to expect that pax will bring formal wear for 1 night unless the ship is having a special event for your trip and it is advertised as such. This trip is probably considered a coastal repo for the Panama canal trip (to satisfy The Jones Act requirements) which can start in Vancouver (or in LA), followed by a 2 day segement to Los Angeles.

We thought about staying on board to LA but it didn't work out.

Have fun on your first mini-cruise. I hope you will like HAL as much as we do, and it will lead to other longer cruises for you.

GN

Hi there, Yes it is starting in L.A.,I do believe, then Seattle ,then Vancouver to the Panama Canal. Its my husbands 40th so its alot cheaper than a night out w/ hotel in Seattle. I guess I will call my T.A. when it gets closer to the date to find out about formal night. I will love it either way!!

Meanestmom,

We get off on the 24th in Seattle coming in from Alaska. Then she sails to Vancouver, and on the 25th leaves Vancouver for Los Angeles where she heads out on her canal trip. Seeing that all passengers who get on in Seattle on the 24th will all be new to the ship (Most of them will be staying on to go to the canal), HAL wouldn't have a formal night right up front. The first formal night will probably be on Tuesday to accomodate the people getting on in Vancouver. I know it sounds confusing but the canal trip has 3 choices of cities in which to board. Most cruises are not this way.

GN

Thank you so much for the info... Im so excited,even if its only 1 night.(Im taking a 7 day carribean in Dec.on Carnival) I heard the Westerdam in BEAUTIFUL! Im sure I will be spoiled after only 1 day! Too bad I cant just "blend in" and stay on board.Ha Ha..:)

meanestmom,

I don't know if you've ever been on Carnival, and even though it's HAL's sister line, the atmosphere is completely different, especially in the Caribbean. The passenger demographics and the ambiance are very different from HAL. I hope you will like us better and decide to stay with us...We have "fun" too.

GN

Nope, havent been on Carnival, but were going on the Conquest in Dec. with our little kids and my parents for 7 days. We have a balcony then ,too.I hope the conquest wont look like a "getto " boat after 1 night on the Westerdam!! HA HA We may get very spoiled for our very 1st time!!;)

I didn't mean to imply that carnival ships are not elegant, they are just different. They have more of a resort atmosphere, HAL has a true "ocean-liner" aspect. Most everything is understated but very refined without being snooty. The service is very different, as is the decor, and the feeling you get from the surroundings. We feel very much at home on HAL. The nicest thing to hear when you board is your greeter saying "welcome back", and you wonder how do they know us, but somehow they do.

GN

Oh yes, I understand, Good thing I wasnt on the Carnival boards,Id be on FIRE by now! I know Holland is more elegant just by the brochures. My husband is a beer and tee -shirt kind of guy and thinks dressing up is no stains on his clothes. I think I saw a couple of guys like that in the Carnival brochures..LOL;) -M.M.

Archived