Passport or birth certificate for 16 year old on DAWN

Dario M

For a 16 year old going on the dawn in august to bermuda is a original birth certifiacte and a photo ID enough to get on the ship or do i need to make an emergency reservation to get a passport

I know there is a thread just like this but this is NCL not NCLA

http://www.ncl.com/more/visa_requirement.htm#a

U.S. and Canadian citizens must provide PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP and PROOF OF IDENTITY for boarding NCL cruises returning to the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean valid through 31 December 2006:

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP consists of one of the following:

• Valid or recently expired passport (preferred)
  • Original or state certified copy of a birth certificate (photocopies are not accepted)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Report of a Birth Abroad

PROOF OF IDENTITY consists of one of the following (applicable to everyone 16 years of age and older):

• Valid driver's license that includes a photograph
  • Government identification card that includes a photograph and physical description

My family including my 16 year old and her friend just returned from the 6/24 Dawn sailing. My daughter has a passport, so it wasn't an issue, but her friend's parents discovered 2 days before the trip that the birth certificate was not enough. After numerous calls to NCL, they were told that a state issued birth certificate along with her high school photo ID card and her Social Security card was enough. We did not have any trouble with those pieces of identification when we checked in. They looked at the school ID and the birth certificate and it was fine. Of course, it is always better to have the passport - so if you have enough time, try to get it. However, the above was enough.

For a 16 year old going on the dawn in august to bermuda is a original birth certifiacte and a photo ID enough to get on the ship or do i need to make an emergency reservation to get a passport

I know there is a thread just like this but this is NCL not NCLA

Hi Dario,

We used our daughter's birth certificate to get her on the ship for our 6/24 Dawn cruise. The law will change this December that no matter where you go from the U.S, you will need a passport so you are fine with a birth certificate to go to Bermuda. I actually carried it with me off the ship because they tell you to bring ID with you to re-board but no one ever asked me for my ID or hers...just our NCL cards. But I'd still carry it...just in case. If he/she doesn't have a learner's permit yet, run over to the Oakland DMV and get a state-issued ID card for him/her. That'll work in combination with the birth certificate (per the copy & paste Shoreguy provided from the NCL website).

Archived