Gatwick to Southampton

My searches for transportation from Gatwick Airport to Southampton are starting to run together...there seems to be some disadvantages with both bus and train service (like multiple stops with the bus causing the trip to be longer and having to drag your own luggage with the train).

Not counting private car as an option, (which may be th easiest, but most expensive option) what you do recommend is the next best way for a 2 adults and a 3 year old to get from Gatwick Airport and Southampton pier...train or bus? Is it the bus because of not having to handling the luggage as much yourself? Does the bus limit the number of bags per person? And is it really much longer than the train?

Lastly, what pre cruise hotels do you prefer to catch either the bus or the train?

Have you thought about catching the Gatwick Express to London Victoria Station and staying overnight. Then take the train - perhaps Megatrain - from Waterloo to Southampton. Or National Express bus from Victoria Coach Station. If you stay near Victoria Station - or there is a hotel attached to the station, I think it is a Thistle, you will be ready to go from the Coach Station next morning!!

Thank you for the ideas....It's funny that the Thistle is the first I went to look into after my initial post. I was also looking into the Kensington Forum (Holiday Inn) one of the hotels that RCCL usually uses-if anyone has any feedback on that one. RCCL is currently are sold out of pre and post hotel with transfer packages for triples at this time. That doesn't mean I can't get something in that area, it just means I have to arrange the hotel and transportation independantly. RCCL wants $510 for their roundtrip transfers only (for 2 adults and a baby). I think they could do the private car cheaper in that case.

So basically if we go for the low budget route, is it one train from the Gatwick airport to Victoria Station and then different train (or bus) from Victoria to Southampton? Or is there one train that can get you from Gatwick directly to Southampton straight thru, if they opted to stay in a hotel within the airport? If so, is that the megatrain or Gatwick Express from the airport?

I hope this is really easier than I am making it...sorry

Goodness - now I am getting confused.

Let's do the options and then I will give you my opinion!!

Gatwick Express to Victoria Station. Stay overnight at Thistle?. Then taxi to Waterloo station to take the VERY cheap megatrain (as long as its not Sunday) to Southampton. OR from Victoria Coach Station a very reasonable bus ride to Southampton!! There are NO direct trains from Gatwick.

There maybe a National Express bus from Gatwick to Southampton - look at their website. But its probably got lots of stops.

I would prefer the train anyday to the bus. Put your luggage on a cart - not so terrible!! Just make sure you have some one pound coins in case you need them for the carts (trolleys) at the stations.

However, you are travelling with an infant and doing an expensive cruise. You are coming in after a long overnight flight. A private car is honestly, the way for you to go - just MHO.

So basically if we go for the low budget route, is it one train from the Gatwick airport to Victoria Station and then different train (or bus) from Victoria to Southampton? Or is there one train that can get you from Gatwick directly to Southampton straight thru, if they opted to stay in a hotel within the airport? If so, is that the megatrain or Gatwick Express from the airport?
There is in fact a direct train from Gatwick airport to Southampton. It runs once an hour during the day.

If you have no particular aspirations to go to London for one overnight stay, I would suggest going straight to Southampton from Gatwick when you arrive. Airport hotels tend to be fairly expensive; you may therefore save some money by going to Southampton and staying there.

Archived