Regatta, Baltics Cruise Part III

larablair

Hello, had problems getting back into the message board yesterday. I will try to keep this review to 4 parts. Sorry for the length. Day 6: Copenhagen: Sunday, We docked right on time at 8a.m. at Langeline Harbour. Left the ship at 9a.m. Weather is very nice. The dock is a very easy walk into the center of town. Along the waterfront then into town. I pretty much followed Rick Steve's walking tour. Seeing the majoy sights. Little Mermaid was very close. Could have hopped on a canal boat there but decided to go into town and take the 60 minute narrated tour on the Blue Boat(half the price)On the way saw the amalienborg Palace.The dock is in Nyhavn. Afterwards we went to a sidewalk cafe for a aCarlsberg beer. Walked over to the shopping area The Stroget. Most stores were closed. We decided to skip Tivoli Gardens. Back to the ship to enjoy the rest of the afternoon on board. Right alongside the ship is a shopping mall. Lots of souvenier's etc.

Day 7: Gdansk, Poland, Arrived right on schedule at Noon. We decided to take the ship's excursion to Stutthof Concentration Camp and Gdansk City Tour. Left ship at 1p.m. We were very glad we did this tour. They have a very nice memorial at the site. Very moving experience. Included a film and guided walking tour of the camp. The weather was warm and humid. The drive was over an hour from the ship through very pretty countryside. The guide was very informative through out the tour. We just made it back on the coach when the skies opened!! Lightning bolts to the ground and buckets of rain. Quite dramatic actually. When we arrived back in Gdansk for our walking tour the skies, like magic cleared. What a lovely city. Amber is the number one seller here I think. Back to the ship at 6:30p.m.(city is 30 minutes from dock)We departed at 8:p.m.

Day 8: Today we are at sea, will be traveling 418 nautical miles to Helsinki from Gdansk. Was nice to be able to sleep in. Today there was a special Brunch in the Grand Dining Room beginning at 10a.m. with lovely live music and special displays etc. Was very relaxing. Afterwards we lazed by the pool reading, sunning and swimming. Took a break to play Bingo in Horizons. Then there was afternoon tea. Dinner at the Polo Grill tonight. The weather was nice, the seas calm.

Day 9: Helsinki: We docked at 8:00a.m. Weather was cloudy, highs in the 60's. Some showers. We docked right next to the open market in Center Square. Next to downtown and the esplanade. Walked over to Senate Square. Quite impressive. Then walked around the shopping area and esplanade to Stockman's Dept. Store. It is huge, and was crowded. There are public restrooms there. Enjoyed looking at the produce, seafood and crafts at the market square. Downtown, some very nice stores, selling Finnish Glass, fabrics(Maremekko) etc. Oh we did take a city bus, circling around town and out past the Olympic Stadium. Originallly built for the 1940 Games, Was not used until they finally hosted in 1952. We were back to the ship in time for a late lunch. Tomorrow is a big day!! St. Petersburg.

Day 10: Arrived at 8a.m. We met our guide Julia and driver Alex(she is with Alla Tours)just outside customs at 9a.m. We are touring with another couple we met here on CC. FYI, they are from Canada. The wife, is originally from Kiev. So much to see!! We drove around St. Petersburg to Peter and Paul Fortress, burial site for the rulars including Peter the Great. We stopped for photo's afterwards (there was a bear cub being led around on a leash)From there out to St Catherine's Palace in Pushkin. Very beautiful. Had a lite lunch at the Palace. You will need rubles for the restroom!! The Amber Room is very impressive. Back to St. Petersburg and a stop at Nevsky Prospect, the main shopping area!! Anything you might want is there I am sure. A very busy area Oh forgot, we also stopped at the memorial to the people who lost their lives saving St. Petersburg from the ****'i. You pass it on the way to Pushkin. Very worthwhile stop. Also visited the Aurora Battleship. We were back to ship at 7p.m.

Day 11: Again met our guide at 9a.m. Weather is nice again today. In the 70's. Today we are going to Peterhof. First we visited Peters Log Cabin. Another worthwhile stop. The fountains and gardens are fantastic. We had another lite lunch there at the restaurant in the park. Took the hydrofoil back to St. Pete. Then visited the Church of the Savior and St. Isaacs, toured Yusupov's Palace where Rasputin was shot. Back to ship at around 7p.m.

Dave 12: Our last day in St. Pete. Left again at 9a.m. Hermitage doesn't open until 10:30 so today we walked around the summer garden, visited the the famous Bronze Horseman. Walked right into the Hermitage without waiting, past all the tour groups(one advantage to having a private guide) What can I say about the Hermitage? So much to see you can see just a taste. We saw the the French Impressionists, the palace itself is beautiful. It is amazing to see what the people did to save this art , and the buildings they brought back to their former beauty.The sacrifice and suffering were unimaginable. We decided to leave the tour after the Hermitage, the other couple went on the Naval Museum. A memorable experience. Even though we saw so much it would be difficult to figure out what to eliminate!! (to be cont'd)

We are also booked with Alla for our tour of St. Petersburg during our 8/3 Insignia cruise. Could you please describe the process of getting off the ship for your tour? What time were you able to disembark? Did they allow you to disembark before the ship's tours? Did you retrieve your passport the night before? Any problems? First time O cruiser, so would like to know generally how the process works.

We had been given our passports earlier in the cruise, I think before Gdansk. Our meeting time with Julia was at 9a.m. There was a tour already lined up at customs, so took some time that first day. There was band playing at the dock to greet us. Maybe you can avoid the tour group if you leave earlier that day. You need your passport and the Alla ticket. I don't know what happened when I printed mine. I had one ticket Dated June 29th(our first day)When I went through customs the 2nd day, I needed a ticket dated for that day. Thank goodness Alla was there. She talked to the Russians!! Then had a new ticket for us on the 3rd day. Still haven't figured out what went wrong. Other than that, everything went very smoothly.

Archived