Regatta Baltic's Cruise, Part IV

larablair

Day 13: Tallinn, stonia: We arrived again on schedule at 8a.m. Our plan is to take it easy today after all the touring in St. Pete. We enjoyed another leisurely breakfast, this time in the Grand DR. Eggs Benedict, fresh berries(these are available everymorning)in the Terrace Cafe too. Yumm, beautiful fresh rasberries, strawberries and blueberries. We are docked very close to the town center. We walked over. Tallinn is very well preserved midieval towns. Developed in the 11th to 15th centuries. Tallin has both the Lower Town and Upper, where the Russian Orthodox Church is and some wonderful views. We again followed Rick Steve's walking tour. We walked up, stopping at the little shops along the way. Then we worked our way down to the Town Hall Square. There is an area a short walk outside the square where you can find a flower market and stalls full of hand knitted sweaters, made of wool or linen. Also, throughout town you will find amber shops too. Highlight of my day in Tallinn was meeting two friends from England who were on another cruise ship. We met at the square. Met them three years ago when they were on one of my tours of New England(I am a tour director)We had some Tallinn beer and a snack at an outside cafe on Pitt St. Then we shopped around before walking back to the port. What a world we live in!! Where you can meet friends in a little country a world away. We loved this port. The architecture, the people(my husband was taken with the beautiful blonde blue eyed girls here). We said goodbye then back to our homes away from home! I was back in time for tea!! Then dinner in Toscana for the last time. Again, wonderful! I had the osso bucco and chocolate lasagne. Then we had a night cap in Martini's, enjoyed both the drink and the music.

Day 14: Stockholm Sweden. Our last day!! We were up by 5a.m. didn't want to miss the transit through the archepelago on the way to Stockholm. 25,000 islands, gorgeous scenery. Called room service. Delived my croissants and coffee at 5:30 a.m. Sat out on our aft balcony watching the breathtaking sights. Beautiful crystal clear day. We went up to the terrace cafe for breakfast(aft also)wonderful views from up there too. Enjoyed our breakfast and the view!! Left the ship a little after nine. Took bus #1 into Stockholm. Then walked over to the place, near Gamla Stan where we took the narrated 90 minute bus tour. Was a great way to see Stockholm. Headphones in different languages, ac, and toilettes. We made the mistake of also doing the canal tour that was part of it. Boaded the boat(they had box lunches for us and drinks(included)Cost for both bus & boat was $50 pp. If I had known the boat was so long (2 hours)would not have gone. It was hot and long!! Plus repeat info. Oh well, live and learn. We then walked to gamla stan, The old town. Enjoyed a cold beer!! I mean really enjoyed, it was about 90 that day. The other couple went to the Vasa, I regret not going, but couldn't take another boat ride and I was getting late. caught the bus(easy)back to dock. Back at 4p.m. for our last tea!! Then packed. Finished at 6p.m. in time for entertaining show in the Regatta lounge. Dinner the last night was wonderful. How sad to be saying good bye to the wonderful people to took such good care of us! They say you know you are home when you throw your towels on the bathroom floor, come back later and they are still there!! Our stewardess Roslana, from the Ukraine, was terrific. All the waiters, waiters, cannot give them enough praise!! Enzo, the head matre'de from Italy. Sylvester, Wolfgang, so many! Oh Rosa, she always said hello from day one knew my name!! The food!! Fantastic, the expresso, the cappuchino!

July 4th: We are leaving the ship for the airport(10a.m. flight)ordered a taxi before leaving home. Restaurants opened early for breakfast. We left the ship at 7:15, found our luggage, then saw the driver holding a sign with our name. Drive was maybe 30 minutes. He drove very fast. Cost was $65, including tip. Long line at the airport. But we had plenty of time, flying to Frankfurt then on to SFO. FYI, you must leave the ship by 9a.m. cabin by 8a.m. My DH and I both loved this cruise!! I would go back again in a few years!! Hey I would go back tomorrow, if I could!! Now where do we go from here? If you have any questions about anything let me know. Will answer if I can. Bon Voyage

Forgot about a couple places we visited in St. Petersburg, the market(wonderful) arrived early in the morning. wonderful desplay of foods. One guy was actually arranging cherries, one by one!! Then the metro, like a museum downthere. Very deep, under the Neva River. J

Your review is just what I have been looking for. We are taking this cruise next year. I have been looking for information on private guides and finding our own transportation. Now for some questions.

In Brugge how did you arrange for your Taxi and how can I contact them? Did they only provide transportatin or give you a tour and how much did it cost if you remember?

Amsterdam who did you hire for your Private Tour and how can I contact them. Did they arrange for your tickets into Anne Frank Annex or did you arrange for them ahead of time and how?

Berlin did you talk to anyone that took the ship tour? I understand it is a long drive and we have been there before and are considering taking the ship tour there.

Copenhagen where did you pick up the Blue Boat? I have been to Copenhagen before but took the ship tour that time.

St Petersburg I will look at Alla Tours. Someone said you could book Red Octobers private tour through the cruise ship do you know anything about that?

Stockholm you took the #1 bus, was this provided by the cruise ship or where did you catch this and where did you catch the Narrated 90 minute bus tour.

Return taxi from dock how did you contact them before leaving home? Can they accomodate 4 passengers with luggage?

Thank you in advance for all the information. There will be four of us and we would like to do private tours/transportation as much as possible.

Thank you for all the information

The boat tour in copenhagen,it starts in Nyhaven. Easy walk from the ship. Check out Rick Steves Scandinavia tour guide. Very informative.

Brugge: contact www.brugsetaxiservice.com Van with room for 8 was 45 euro one way. It you wanted a guided tour there the price is 35-55 euro pp.

Amsterdam: Comfort Tours - Ingrid van Bijnen. www.ibijnen@xs4all.nl 8 hour tour was $445 euro. We bought tickets at the ticket window when we arrived.

Stockholm: Bus stop is short walk from ship. Now I have found out it is best to take the other Bus, I think it is bus #2(will bring you closer to where pick up the bus tour. The Royal Theatre.

Airport: www.stockholmtaxi.com I am sure you can arrange for a larger vehicle, with room for 4. You can reserve from home. You pay upon arrival at the airport. Name of port is Frihammen. Cost was $65 total.

Archived