Long Dresses

margieh

Thanks ladies--that is the message I wanted to hear because the dresses are so comfortable. However, I didn't know if they had completely gone out of style, so I appreciate your input.

Margie

Ok you fashion queens, I need a little help. I have several cotton long shift-type dresses with little jackets or sweaters. Are these in fashion or out of fashion?

actually they sound very comfortable and very "in" right now ;)

Thanks ladies--that is the message I wanted to hear because the dresses are so comfortable. However, I didn't know if they had completely gone out of style, so I appreciate your input.

Margie

I still like mine-but on one show on What Not To Wear-Stacey and Clinton called them frumpy. I do think they give good advice but I am hanging onto mine!

Ok you fashion queens, I need a little help. I have several cotton long shift-type dresses with little jackets or sweaters. Are these in fashion or out of fashion?

I still see them, and they can be really cute. The do look very comfy, and a little jacket or shrug is perfect.

Geez... I am dumb I guess!:confused:

What exactly is a shift dress?

Picture a dress made out of, say linen or cotton, or even a light denim that has a straight silhouette from the shoulders down to mid-calf or ankle length.

They usually don't have a defined waist.

~e

Are these cotton w/ a print, like a flower or calico or just solid color? My 19 yo wore the calico/floral cotton print type of dresses w/ a little cotton shrug or s/s jean jacket when she was about 10. I tried to wear them, but they made me look frumpy. But I was probably already a bit frumpy, having at the time 5 children under the age of 10 and running a family childcare business out of my home. That dress style was available at many stores at the time.

If they were gauzy cotton, beachy, that might work. I'm not sure I have a good picture in my mind of what the OP wants to wear. OP??

Love that dress! I have an abstract creme and black shift, very much the same style as the dress HappySingleMom posted. If I dress it up w/ pumps/evening sandals and jewelry, would that be okay for formal night on Princess?

I've been searching for just the right bracelet for it, but nothing yet. Any ideas?

That edressme site is fantastic! If you have more resources like this one, I'd love to see you post them! Thanks!

Ah...no. Look here:

http://www.edressme.com/nicolemillerbfo506.html

Shifts can be very flattering. I quite like them. "Sheaths" are more fitted, but similar.

A HUGE thank you to the fashion Gods.... I was thinking somewhere along these lines and I was going to have a meltdown... a rather large one!!! (All this talk of fanny packs has me worried..):o

e6_1.JPG

This is what I saw in my head.....:(

Shivers!!!!!!:eek:

Personally I'd not wear that dress for a formal night - I wore my shift AND sheath dresses for casual nights. But I dress up. Obviously some prefer to dress down.

Here is a sheath-type dress that I WOULD wear on formal night...though I really don't consider it formal. It is however, classy enough that I'd be comfortable in it.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=68827&CategoryID=1530

Have you looked at Nordstrom's site? This is a sheath dress I would just LOVE to have!!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2890952/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6001765~6001766?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6001766&P=1

I'm not sure which style the OP is asking about. A shift dress to me is not a sheath, but that's just me. And she did say "long", so I have another style in mind.

To the OP I'm not sure of what style you had in mind. Is it like a long loose cotton dress that comes long mid-calf or ankle length?

In any case, I'd wear it if I really like it and am comfy in it.:)

My opinion, FWIW :rolleyes: : IF you're talking about a dress style similar to that which has been linked above - one is more definitely "beach wear", and another (the retro print) MUCH nicer, almost body skimming......then I'd say yes. However, I have a feeling you're talking about the style I call "the Dress Barn dress"; and if you don't have a Dress Barn store near you I know that means nothing to you! They were very in fashion a while back (as in a few years) - long, loose; some had a little string tie near the waist that you tied behind you; then a short little sweater, crocheted maybe, sometimes with little buttons and even appliques. THAT dress style, I'd say NO WAY. That's just me though, because you still see them, especially at the Dress Barn :rolleyes: . I had a few and got rid of them last year - no more long boxy dresses!! There are just too many other styles that are far more flattering and up to date. When I see someone in one of those dresses now, I always think "school teacher"!

I jjust bought another one! It is a linen/rayon blend that goes to my ankles almost. It is fitted- so more a sheath-and it has a matching blazer jacket so it almost looks like I am wearing suit .

Dilliards had it 75%off and then today there is an extra 30% so I got this $90 dress for $15.40!! so even if I wear it only a couple of times I have my money's worth!

It is an off white color with a turquoise buglebead trim around the neck of the dress and embellished a little on the jacket also. I figure it will look good with my gunmetal grey sandals with the wedge also covered in the gunmeteal grey that has faux turquoise and blue topaz on the toes.

Stacey and Clinton may would hate it but I loved it-and yes I plan to wear it to my Sunday meetings!!! (see church dress thread)

Archived