How full is our ship?

MattOsprey

Hi guys,

We are on Volendam on 24th October 2006. There are just 2 of us on roll call. We are wondering if this ship is quiet? Is there a way to find out how full the ship is?

Thank you for all replies.

There are still plenty of cabins available for that cruise, and our online agency is heavily discounting it, 55% off brochure price. They will do whatever they have to do to fill the ship, they don't like to sail with empty cabins. We are booked for the Maasdam out of Norfolk on October 28. This is what they call the shoulder season, rather than peak demand, so there are some very good cruise bargains out there for the same outstanding cruise and cruise service!!!! :D Although this is not a "Booze Cruise", there is plenty going on, and for those who choose to party into the night, they have a fantastic night club.

We are having the same problem on the roll call boards. For what ever reason, the HAL pax just don't get on the roll call boards as much as some other lines. But you do get pretty good responses on this forum.

Have a great cruise.:)

I do not think there is a way to know , with any certainty, how many cabins need to be sold before sail date, beyond a pricing strategy.

I think HAL ( an all other cruise lines) is the only one that knows, because it's proprietary information. TA's only see what HAL wants them to see, or what the TA has bought for reseale or if the TA is are a part of a resale strategy- just a slice of the pie.

I would not rely upon a roll call for any ship to predict capacity. I have sailed too many Carnival cruises where the roll call has been substantial and upon embarking, learn that the sip has an abundance of vacant cabins.

If anyone sees/knows something I do not ( always a possibility) they will post here.

One way to second guess how well a cruise is filling up is to repeatedly visit one of the online cruise agents that will give both individual category prices and a short list of the staterooms available for each category. I use bestp....cruises.com and buyc.....s.com most often for this tracking. If the cruise is selling well the available stateroom list for each category will keep changing and when a category is sold out the category will disappear from the price list. If the cruise is selling poorly then the same available stateroom numbers will appear week after week for a given category and most if not all price categories stay open. Frequently the top priced suites will sell out early because there are so few of them while the lower priced categories seem to remain stagnant. It takes too much time to try to follow all price categories for a cruise that interests me so I usually pick one price category in each type of stateroom, inside, outside, balcony and mini-suite or suite and follow only those four. I make the assumption that my chosen categories will be fairly representative of all the price categories within each type of stateroom. I only do this for a cruise that I am seriously considering booking beacuse it is somewhat time consuming.

I do not think we are allowed to reference TA web sites, given the fine folk who provide us with and fund these boards. Given you were not recommending them other than a source of 411, maybe it will pass.

Archived