First Timer

feltango

Hello All:

My wife and I are taking our first cruise. We are travelling with Princess on there Eastern Mediterrenean vacation package which includes Rome, Greece, Turkey, Eygpt and Crete. Does anyone know how much spending money we should plan on having? Any tips for first-timers? DOs and DON'Ts?

Thanks.

Hello All:

My wife and I are taking our first cruise. We are travelling with Princess on there Eastern Mediterrenean vacation package which includes Rome, Greece, Turkey, Eygpt and Crete. Does anyone know how much spending money we should plan on having? Any tips for first-timers? DOs and DON'Ts?

Thanks.

Although I've never been on a cruise outside of the Caribbean, I can tell you that anything you want to purchase while on the ship will be charged to your room. You would only need spending money on the ship for room service tips. Everything else goes to your room card (which is also your ID on the ship and the key to your cabin.) Have a great cruise!

Hello All:

Thanks.

You've got to also consider the time spent in port. I assume that you may want to buy some things as well as try the local cuisine. I'm sure they take cards, but I would assume there will be times where cash is required. They do have ATM's on board if you run short. I'm not sure about the Mediteranian, but in the Caribbean they take US dollars pretty much everywhere.

Greetings! I would first suggest that you read above the sticky Princess FAQ: Created "by" Members "for" Members.:) That will help you alot. Second, I would do all my land tours through your cruise lines. This way THEY will look after you and your sure of returning to the ship on time.:eek: Ship tours cost a little more, but you also will be safe.;) Take only two credit cards with you and take it easy.:D Also make copies of EVERYTHING. Happy Sailings...LeslieSwiger:)

Call your credit card company before you cruise to let them know you'll be out of the country during those dates. You certainly don't want them to put a hold on your account.

Be sure to take smaller bills for tipping and taxi rides (if you opt to explore on your own).

As Leslie noted, book your excursions through the cruiseline. It does cost a little more, but this gives you piece of mind. The first time in a port, I always book through the cruiseline. If I've been there multiple times, I feel more comfortable with the routine and may book an independant tour.

Don't feel like you have to do everything that's scheduled. Take two colors of highlighters and review the Patters the night before. Highlight the must do's in one color and the maybe's in another. Be sure to allow time to relax. You are on vacation.

When packing, do a lot of mix and match. Black slacks are so versatile. Plus don't expect to eat in the dining room every night. We usually do the buffet at least two nights on a 7-day trip - too tired to clean up/dress up.

I would be jealous if I wasn't goint to the Orient this year .. but in our experience

Turkey .. Loved American Dollars and you can do best in the grand bazaar & Spice bazaar with cash .. but they WILL take credit cards.

Greece .. we were going to be there longer .. so we got off the ship and went to a local ATM machine for their currency but be careful to be sure you know the exchange rate .. punching in $100 in American is NOT the same as $100 in greek currency

Cairo .. we used credit cards, but a lot of people were using American dollars

Almost anywhere we were in Europe there was an ATM machine close to the dock

As someone else said, be sure your bank knows where you are for 2 reasons .. you don't want then putting a hold on a card while you are away .. and you don't want them allowing charges at home while you are away. We had an ATM card stopped once and our bank got us a replacement by the next port .. it was inconvenient, but fortunately we had a pin number to use our credit card for cash also.

Have a GREAT CRUISE !!!

Archived