Greenock Free Tours

We are sailing on the Golden Princess 8/30 British Isle cruise. We will be docked in Greenock on 9/04. Does anyone know if the free Greenock Tours are conducted in the afternoon or are they only in the morning?

We have a morning tour of Glasgow booked and - after reading about Greenock on these boards - decided to wander around Greenock in the afternoon. The tours sound very interesting and would love to take one.

This is the website for the volunteer organization in Greenock that offers the tours and tourist information for the area.

http://www.glimpsesofgreenock.co.uk/

I suggest you email them and ask what tours they will be offering and at what time on the day you will be there. We did their Glimpses of Greenock tour several years ago and their Glimpses of Port Glasgow tour several weeks ago. We found both very interesting and, in both cases, the guides were excellent - more knowledgeable than many we have had on ship's shorexes. I was very disappointed to see how many people made no contribution to help defray the expense the group incurred to pay for the bus. This group does the best job of welcoming visitors that we have experienced anywhere.

Although I highly recommend these tours, if you are taking a ship's shorex into Glasgow in the morning, unless you have spent time in Glasgow before, I would suggest you not return to Greenock with the shorex and, instead, remain in Glasgow and come back to Greenock on the train. (or better yet, forget the expensive ship's shorex and just take the train into Glasgow on your own and take the hop on/off bus to whatever sights interest you). There is so much to see and do in Glasgow that a half day tour just scratches the surface. If you do a search on this board, you should find lots of info about getting from Greenock to Glasgow and what to see while there.

luvnorway

Thanks for the information. I have sent an email to the address I got from the link you provided.

We had thought about staying in Glasgow or doing it on our own, but it will be the 5th port day in a row and not sure if we want to do an all day trip. That is always an option.

Our plan was to take the half day tour, than maybe relax for awhile and go out to Greenock for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

The tours sound really interesting from what I've read on the boards. I can't imagine taking a tour like this and not giving a contribution to help defray the costs.

Archived