Log Your Exercise Progress Here

RB Bonzo

My half was this morning. It was a beautiful day for running - 40's to start and going up into the low mid-50's.

As you may recall, I only decided to do this race about 2 1/2 months ago during a time when I couldn't even run a mile. I was working my way through the early weeks of C25K and figured that I could walk most of the course if necessary. My main concern at that time was to finish w/in the 3 hour course limit.

After I got to the point where I could run a 5k in late August, I switched tactics and started working on doing long run/walk combinations, w/ long runs each weekend.

At the race, I started out doing 6/2 splits, on a couple of occasions, extending the run out to 8 minutes or so. I was able to keep that pace going for about 2 hours (yes, I do run that slow!). After that, the run/walk ratio was probably about 50/50. In all, I estimate that I ran more than 11 of the 13 miles.

Finished in approx 2:36. This was a better pace than I had managed in my 10 mile runs leading up to this weekend, and better than the 2:40 that I was aiming for.

I ran the last 3/4 mile at a very slow pace just to savor it. At that point, I realized I couldn't make 2:30, which was my "in my dreams" goal. I felt that if I had another month to get ready, I would have easily made that.

I am a little sore but very gratified. Can't wait to do another and hope to train to do a full one for either next summer or fall. This was a really great day.

RB:

congratulations on your first 1/2 marathon! and remember that your time is a personal record!! :)

marathons are addictive so I am sure you will be running more!

dont forget to take a few days off to recover....and listen to your body!

congrats again!

nancy

dont forget to take a few days off to recover....and listen to your body!

\/quote]

Thanks, Nancy - not too hard to listen to the body this evening; it is practically screaming at me!

Nothing a little Vitamin I won't fix!

Congatulations RB. I think your time was fantastic. You will become hooked. I wasnt sure after my marathon that I would ever do another. It took me a week to figure out that i will do another. Probaly next fall. I really dont want to train for one in the winter.My body still is not the same, but it is getting there.

Well I started Maintanence a couple of weeks ago and I kind of slacked off. This week has been brutal emotionally.

I live in San Diego and as you all know we were hit with some devastating fires. My Grandparents were evacuated and then when they were finally able to come home there was a message on the answering machine from the home that my Great Grandfather is in to call immediately. He had passed away. I am devastated, we were very very close. So no surprise that at todays WI I had gained a pound.

Well I started back up today. Made food for the week and went to the gym right after WI.

I took a spinning class and ran 1.5 mile on the treadmill and took an abs class. I earned 10 aps, would have been more but I only could stay for 40 min.

I am sorry about your great grandfather, Marvgirl - I had coped w/ a funeral last month. These are difficult periods, but it is possible to get through them while maintaining your eating and activity lifestyle. Sounds like you are managing well.

Yesterday, my son and I played around on a track for a bit mixing sprinting w/ jogging - about 1.5 miles total.

Had a great morning today. Ran 2.5 miles w/ son to a local breakfast spot, where DW and DD met us (in the car). Had a mostly WW core breakfast, and we all rode back together. Then, DW and I went to the gym, where I did a good 45 minutes on the eliptical followed by circuit weight training and some stretching.

Just got back from my run and I think I pressed myself up to a new level this morning. Previously, when running by myself, I found myself deciding to switch to walking after just a couple of miles. I justified it because I was doing longer runs over the weekend w/ my running buddy or my son, and during the time that I was training to run/walk the half-marathon, I was focusing on the long run/walks rather than getting good mileage in over the week.

This morning, I set out to do a course that was 3.25 miles; it is hilly, and I had never run the entire length. Until today. Half way through, I felt like I was just getting started. The back half had most of the up hills, but this morning, the legs just felt stronger and the hills looked more flat than they used to. I actually picked up the pace going up hill the last quarter mile; the last 100 yards were the steepest, and I sprinted up them with a light breeze at my back and the sun coming up in front of me.

I love this new hobby of mine!

Archived