Hawaii - which ship?

karen2cruz

We are planning an Hawaiian cruise for next year and cant decide which ship, PoAm, PoH or Pof ALoha. There are five of us and we like balcony cabins. Although, our college kids get to stay in an inside across from us. Hey, we're paying for them.:)

Anyway, I know that NCLA is not the same as NCl as far as service, but we're easy to please. We have cruises NCL once so far and my husband especially loved the more casual atmosphere.

Any ship that stands out better than the others? Why is Pride of America so much more...because it's newer?

Thanks in advance

I think I would choose in this order...#1 Pride of Hawaii, sister ship to NCL Star which I have sailed on twice and LOVE. #2 Pride of America, novelty ship unlike any other in the fleet but noted to have smaller staterooms. and lastly #3. Pride of Aloha, I sailed a 12 day cruise on her inagural voyage in 2004 and she is an ok ship but older and smaller than the others. You will love sailing to all of the major islands! It is a GREAT way to get a taste of Hawaii. Marilyn

Hopefully by next year they will have the bugs worked out and all three ships will be somewhat equal. As stated, the PoA is the smallest and thou new in 1999 it is the oldest and has also had the most recent amount of dry dock time so she should be in good shape. I was on her when she was the Sky. She was in drydock when I cruised Hawaii this spring so I only has one choice - PoAm. I am glad I did as she is one nice ship. As far as the cabins go, I did not see a major difference between our ones on the Sky and the PoAm in terms of size. The PoAm has an american theme which has lots of red white and blue. I can not speak for the PoH as I have not been on her or her sister ships. Some of our crew was from the PoA and were missing their ship while she was in dry dock. They said that the smaller ship was more intimate and the passenger/crew ratio was better than on the PoAm.

I think pride of America and Pride of Hawaii are nearly equally good, both beautiful newer ships. My comments are probably on the trivial side

PoAM:

bigger balconies in typical suites

jeffersons, very beautifully decorated nice restaurant

nice cadillac grill 50's style cafe, had great milkshakes

nicer lobby

dislike: Pool setup too small

PoH:

far better pool/slide setup

more happenin' sushi bar, draws people in from walkway

talking head karaoke was fun

Hawaiian historical mural theming really excellent

fancy breakfast for suite passengers in cagneys

Thanks for the responses. We have decided of Pride of Hawaii, since PoAmerica is more money right now. Thanks to CC experts here, we also got the "family plan" with an AE suite and an inside for a great deal. Saved about $1000 that way. It was way cheaper than a family suite by $2000.

Thanks again. looking forward to another NCL trip.

Archived