Antwerp/Brugges (merged)

Our ship will be stopping in Antwerp, but we are thinking of visiting Brugges? What would be the best way to do this - aside from a ship excursion - and what kind of travel time are we looking at? We're not necessarily interested in the least expensive, but rather the easiest and most efficient way.

Thanks.

I just posted a little while ago asking about the best way to travel between the two, but then got to thinking...:rolleyes: We hear very nice things about Brugges, but if we've never been to either before should we forego the travel and spend time in Antwerp? Brugges will pretty much be our whole day, and while it would be nice to see, how nice is Antwerp? Might that be sufficient for a first time visit? Anyone who has been to both that can comment or offer their opinions?

Thanks.

We've been to both: Antwerp once and Bruges twice. As nice as Antwerp is, my vote would be Bruges. It is a much smaller and charming place, a medieval village preserved in time. It is far more "touristy" than Antwerp but I haven't minded that because through it all, the canals, old buildings, cobblestone streets with the clip-clop of horse drawn carriages, amazing archictecture, lace, fabulous chocolates and those delicious waffles all combine to make Bruges one of our favorite spots of all time. Hope this helps!

Guest LetMeGo

Hi.

I was in both of the cities last year (as well as Brussels), and I felt there was much more to see in Bruges. In fact I didn't have time for everything I was interested in, because I was there for only 6-7 hours.

There weren't that many interesting sites in Antwerp (I felt 4 hours was enough), but the good thing about Antwerp is that it has a modern side as well, if you want to e.g. go shopping for a while.

I did spend a few weeks looking at the tourist sites of the cities from http://www.trabel.com , and that helped me to plan my trip...

Guest LetMeGo

Hi.

A train ride from Antwerp to Bruges takes about 1h 20 minutes (+ of course the time to and from the station, another half hour), and might require a change of trains. The cost is around 13€ per person.

There must also be direct bus services between the cities, but I didn't find any links to one in a language I can fully understand...:D

Thank you for the insight. Part of me was hoping someone would say that Antwerp is great since it will be our last stop after a very long trip (and we are traveling as a family and have to be packed and off the ship by very early the next morning) and I'm a little hesitant about taking another all day trip/excursion, which Brugges would be. So, while Antwerp would certainly be easier, it sounds like Brugges is much more attractive. We're not particularly interested in the more modern or shopping aspects of Antwerp, but if we decide not to make the trip to Brugges, would we be disappointed in Antwerp or is there still some charm to the city?

Guest LetMeGo
So, while Antwerp would certainly be easier, it sounds like Brugges is much more attractive. We're not particularly interested in the more modern or shopping aspects of Antwerp, but if we decide not to make the trip to Brugges, would we be disappointed in Antwerp or is there still some charm to the city?

Maybe you should consider a ship excursion to Bruges, since they will get you there directly?

That said, maybe it would be better to have a lighter excursion at the end of the cruise... There are things to see in Antwerp as well. The Onze Liewe Vrouve Kathedraal is certainly worth seeing, and if you are interested in art, the Rubenshuis is a nice place to visit. In the pictures the Stadshuis looks pretty nice aswell inside, and the maritime museum at the Steen might interest if you like ships in general.

i have lived all my life in Antwerp, so my answer is not totally unbiased.

Antwerp and Bruges merit certainly a visit.

It depends on what you expect.

Bruges is much smaller, more provincial and touristy. Bruges had its heyday in Medieval Times, while Antwerp was world important in the 16th century and a bit later. (It was the entrepot for the portuguese who had just discovered the way to Asia).Antwerp is nowadays the second city in Belgium after Brussels, and major economic place, also culturally

The artist defining Bruges is Jan van Eyck (Flemish Primitve), while Antwerp is Rubens (and also Van Dyck), so more baroque.

Antwerp is very convenient to visit from a cruise ship, as the ship docks at the quays right in the middle of the old city.

You can see the cathedral directly from the quays, and even a bit before there is the Grote Markt wit the renaissance City hall and the guild houses. (Incidentally Antony Van Dycks birth house is there). Also very close to the ship (in fact a side street of the street parallel to the quays is the UNESCO-listed intact humanist printing house of Plantin-Moretus, which is quite interesting with lots of beautiful books andpaintings, and a lovely courtyard. There are several interesting courtyards in Antwerpen

The cathedral is certainly worth a visit, as is the Carolus Borromeus church (high baroque) on a nice square).

A little bit further is the Rubens House, which is in fact more like a city Palazzo, full of period furniture and some very good Rubens paintings.

A little bit more to the south is the museum of fine arts. The Steen is a maritime museum.

There are no open air canals like in Bruges, but you can also do a horse carriage ride;)

Around the Central Station there is the Diamond quarter, with a good museum, and lots and lots of diamond traders.

In the suburb of Berchem is the Cogels-Osylei, which is a kind of Belle Epoque folly.

All over the city you will find places to eat waffles or pancakes in the afternoon. Luckly not every second store is a chocolate shop as in bruges, but there are and good ones too !

I am sure you could spend a fine and rewarding day in Antwerpen, just as in Bruges. as you are docked in Antwerpen, it certainly is more convenient.

J

Thank you again for all the suggestions. It's especially helpful to hear from a local resident. While every city has it's special charm, we will have done canal rides in Amsterdam and Copenhagen, as well as boat rides in other places, so the horse and carriage may in fact be a bit more interesting by that point. I'd like to think this will not be our only trip to Belgium, so it's good to know we can enjoy Antwerp if we decide to stay there and then plan for more the next time around. As long as there is one good chocolate shop in town;) . Any recommendations? Don't laugh, but chocolate and ice cream are great motivators for our kids (and even myself...) as tourists.

Thank you again for all the suggestions. ... As long as there is one good chocolate shop in town;) . Any recommendations? Don't laugh, but chocolate and ice cream are great motivators for our kids (and even myself...) as tourists.

Could you email me ?

Johan

• 6 months later...

Hello,

You can actually easily walk around Antwerp historical center from the ship. That would be a nice walk for diner or at lunch time.

Go to the main square, Our Lady Cathedral surroundings.

You should not miss Bruges which is probably one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

You could take the train from Antwerp, however a private driver guide would probably be the best option and would cost you more or less 400e for a full day tour (2 or 3 passengers) including the boat cruise and chocolate factory visit.

have fun !

Archived