Restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale Prior to 9/2/06 Sailing

ricj8100

Hi!

I'm spending a couple days in Ft. Lauderdale prior to my 09/02/06 sailing on the Caribbean Princess and I'm trying to track down the name name of this restaurant I think may be in Wilton Manor.

In addition to the restaurant there is a piano bar in the front and, if I remember correctly, another bar in the back. In addition, it has a small area on the front sidewalk set aside for outdoor seating.

Also, since I'm not going to have a rental car, safer that way when you're drinking, are there cabs avaialble in this area to get me back to my hotel on Ft. Lauderdale Beach Blvd.?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rick

Hi Rick,

My partner and I are from Miami. I think I can help you with your Ft Lauderdale question. Tropics might be the restaurant you are looking for. Go to gayftlauderdale.com for other choices.

Jim

You may also be talking about "Food Among the Flowers." This restaurant is also located in Wilton Manors on the same street as Tropics. This establishment is actually two in one: bar with piano on one side and restaurant on the other.

You won't have any problems finding a cab anywhere in the Lauderdale metro area.

If I may suggest another great restaurant that serves Thai cuisine. It is also in Wilton Manors on the same street as the other two. It is called "Galanga." It is not a gay establishment but being in Wilton Manors it is so very heavily frequented by us that it might as well be. The food is great and you will not be disappointed.

Regards,

Thanks Jim and rienreiter for the info.

Now that you mentioned it, I beleive the place I had in mind is Tropics. That name just seems to ring a bell. Thai is my favorite so I'm certainly gonna check that place out, too.

I apologize if I post this response twice. I'm in the Admirals Club at the airport in DC waiting on my return flight home to Chicago and this Internet connection is awful...

Anyway, I really appreciate the help!

Rick

Hello Rick,

Mango’s Restaurant

904 E Las Olas Blvd.

If your hotel is near the water taxi, take the taxi and get off at the Las Olas Blvd stop.It's just up the street on the corner. Sit on the street side so you can people watch. As far as a “family” restaurant, I can’t help there. There is a gay bar within walking distance to the restaurant but we didn’t partake. We are thinking of flying and maybe arriving the night before.We really like FTL I’ll let you know.

John

Rick,

My partner and I second the opinion of Galanga. The first time we went, we had a service issue early on and Eddie, the manager on duty (very cute) took personal care of us. We've been back a couple of times since and it has been excellent every time whether Eddie was there or not.

Mike

John-

Thanks for the info. on Mango's. I know my hotel isn't that far from Las Olas so I think I'll just take a cab and try that one. I do hope you let me know if you decide to come a day early. I don't want to appear presumptious, but I'd really like to meet you guys and have dinner before we set sail. If you're inclined, please feel free to email me (rick8100@aol.com).

Mike-

With two recommendations for Galanga, I'll be certain to check it out. I'm always open to trying new places so I'll probably take a pass on Tropics since I've been there before, despite forgetting the name :-)

Again, my sincere thanks for the recommendations.

Rick

Rick:

Food Among the Flowers used to be the old Costello's; same location.

You will not be disappointed in Galanga. If you go, make sure you try the tempura cheesecake for dessert. That's probably the main reason for which I go there.

Regards,

As of July 31 Hamburger Marys will close for 2 weeks and re-open under a different name. Same management but not the brand. It should also be a nice place to go. I second everyone elses suggestions in Wilton Manors. I don't like mangos that much. If you want a nice place on Los Olas, try Big City Grill or Cafe Europa. Their right across the street from each other. For fun you might also try "The Floridian" , diagonly across from the Cathode Ray Club . These two are at the eastern end of Los Olas.

howndder

Archived