Upcoming Oceania Cruise - Cold Feet

poodlewhisperer

We are booked on our first Oceania cruise, the Regatta, Rome to Barcelona on September 26. We have been on other cruises before (RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, Disney, etc.) but for some reason, this time around I have cold feet! So very weird!

I am trying to put my finger on what's going on but have yet to do so. I've considered that it could it be what's going on in the Middle East, fear of being so far from home for a couple of weeks, or fear of a repeat of last European cruise (was on board on 9/11 - tough to get home.) Or, maybe this is just a passing general anxiety that will pass but it's been a week now.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? If so, how did you move past it? I want to put this in the past so that I can look forward to what I hope will be a great cruise on a new line! But right now, it's too late to cancel (leaving in 56 days) and I am spooked!

I think a lot of us occasionally suffer the "what if's" or "buyer's remorse".

I know that sometimes even after I board, I wonder did I do the right thing?

That feeling usually disappears as soon as the ship sails.

How to beat it? I don't know -I just let it run its course, and try to not let it get the best of me.

I think it is all part of human nature.

Quite frankly, I've had a few twinges of emotion in this vein as well. I was on the last Navy ship to make an official port call in Iran (Bandar-Abas) before the Shah beat feet back, and then we went back to participate the in the ensuing evacuation of U.S. nationals (1978). So I can appreciate to a degree what has been happening in Lebanon. However, I think my feelings are more in the vein of guilt at being able to go on such a luxurious voyage while so many others are suffering. Hmmmm...hard to pin down, as you said, Poodlewhisperer, but I don't think cruises such as the one you are on in the more western section of the Med will be affected.

Thanks to both of you, Michael and Countryguyginny, for your advice. As I said, it's very weird and will work on getting over this.

Your right, Countryguyginny, with so much suffering going on, it does seem very decadent to be off on such a grand adventure. Hadn't thought too much about that aspect but that is definately part of this, I think. Also, as never naving been on O, I guess I worry that it won't be all the boards imply it will be but that's a pretty spoiled approach.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and will definately think about your advice.

We were leaving for a cruise just as the war in Iraq broke out...we kept calling RCCL and asking if the cruise was going to be cancelled and they said no...and we didn't know if we should just stay home. But we went anyway and actually felt very safe. They had divers at every port go under the ship and other security measures were very evident. 9/11 happened right here on American soil...just relax and enjoy your cruise. There is far more precautions and security on cruise ships than any of us can even imagine.

The fear of the unknown - how will this compare to other cruises? This is your vacation - think of the pampering and fun you will have. If the cruise line thought your ports were too dangerous, they would change them. And if you are concerned make "contingency plans" so you will know what to do just in case to put your mind at peace.

We were also on a cruise on 9/11 and it was weird. We did feel guilty about having a good time and wondered what was really going on back home. However, it didn't stop us from taking more cruises. We now like to take time off on 9/11 to celebrate life. That's one thing to learn from the craziness in the world - celebrate your time with family & friends because you never know how much time you will have with them.

Favorite quote on my wall that helps me "Why not leave your worries with God, he'll be up all night anyway."

We are booked on our first Oceania cruise, the Regatta, Rome to Barcelona on September 26. We have been on other cruises before (RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, Disney, etc.) but for some reason, this time around I have cold feet! So very weird!

I am trying to put my finger on what's going on but have yet to do so. I've considered that it could it be what's going on in the Middle East, fear of being so far from home for a couple of weeks, or fear of a repeat of last European cruise (was on board on 9/11 - tough to get home.) Or, maybe this is just a passing general anxiety that will pass but it's been a week now.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? If so, how did you move past it? I want to put this in the past so that I can look forward to what I hope will be a great cruise on a new line! But right now, it's too late to cancel (leaving in 56 days) and I am spooked!

The anxiety you feel is a mixture of guilt and fear that things will be "different". Embrace the differences and assuage the guilt by giving more back to the world in some way, perhaps extra volunteer work etc.

Archived