Explorer 12/2/07, what should I know before I go?

I just booked the Explorer for 12/2/07, a 12 night cruise to the Southern Caribbean. Awesome itinerary:

02-Dec Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey 4:00 PM Boarding

03-Dec Cruising

04-Dec Cruising

05-Dec Philipsburg, St. Maarten 3:00 PM 11:30 PM Docked

06-Dec St. Johns, Antigua 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

07-Dec Roseau, Dominica 7:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

08-Dec Bridgetown, Barbados 7:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

09-Dec Basseterre, St. Kitts 12:00 PM 6:00 PM Docked

10-Dec Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 8:00 AM 8:00 PM Docked

11-Dec San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00 AM 1:30 PM Docked

12-Dec Cruising

13-Dec Cruising

14-Dec Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey 8:00 AM Departure

Best part, I got JS 9618 (on the hump) for only $1523.85pp with port and taxes. I am so excited already and I still have 16 months till we sail. Please tell me about this ship and the ports. What should we do at each; haven’t heard much about Roseau, Dominica. Anyone ever been there? We have been to St. Thomas and St. Maarten last year. Is it easy to handle 12 nights on a ship? Anyone have menus from a 12 night cruise? Do they start repeating stuff for dinner? Thanks for all your help.

Welcome

We are booked on this same cruise after having our repo cruise from Boston cancelled for Oct 07. I can't answer any of your questions however, as all other cruises I have been on have been for 7 nights only.

The ports look interesting to us as we have done both the eastern and western on other ships many times. There is more information on the ports boards on all except Dominica. I can't get to the shore excursions yet, maybe as the sailing gets closer.

There is a small roll call board - go ahead and add you name. Hopefully things will pickup as time rolls along.

Jill in NH

I am also booked on this same cruise itinary but for March 2008. I am so excited too, taking DH and DS (10) and DS (13). We have two promenade staterooms booked but we are flying from UK so overnight in NJ or NY, not sure yet, too early for RCI to tell us. Itinary looks fantastic. Only been to Barbados and always dreamt of returning with the children (we went 19 years ago!). Will head for the beaches there for sure. It is quick and easy to get around unless it has changed much like swelled out or something!:eek: Looking forward to leaving from NY.... kids desperate to go. We visited here last in 1998 and love it! Kids dont know they are going yet.

The only port I am unsure about which I have read about is San Juan in Puerto Rico.... I have heard more negatives about this place being poor, a bit run down and only worth a quick look. I have also heard that whether you intend on leaving the ship or not there, you have to disembark to go through customs so I suppose this might be a drag, though hey, better than work! Mayber we will receive more information about this from others who know first hand

Sounds like you got a really great deal for a JS. I am in a junior suite end of this month on Legend of Seas but I am sure you will have more benefits using your balcony in the Caribbean than I will in France and British Channel Isles(Guernsey!). Prey for the weather please! Hollyanna

I'm sure you will have a great cruise on the Legend. I have not been on her but have seen several pictures of her and even though she is older she does look nice. I agree that San Juan is not the best port to stop at from what I have heard also. But look at it this way, if everyone gets off the ship you will have it all to your family. We are only there a short time so it may not be worth even doing anything. I will make sure to post a review when I come back and let you know about her.

I think San Juan is a wonderful port , there are 2 huge forts right near Old San Juan,( El Morro and San Cristobel) and there is a free trolley to get you around the area. There are beautiful beaches and a gorgeous rainforest. The people are very friendly and it is definitely worth getting off the ship for.

We went there about the same time of year you are going and everything was decorated for christmas and there were shops everywhere with beautiful ornaments and such. In Old San Juan right near the water there is a gazebo that had a live band playing christmas songs and people were dancing!!! Truly a wonderful experience. Don't miss it!!!

Sue

Archived