Explorer of the Seas from New Jersey

Hello cruisers

We're thinking of trying the Exploreer of the Seas from New York (N.J.) in January of 2008. We've got the Empress of the Seas booked for this January for the 11 day cruise from San Juan. The intrigue of a New York departure is we would be able to drive to the departure port.

Can anyone help with info on port, ship, or the 12 day New York cruise in general?

Thanks , a New England cruiser who need to go where it's warm in Jan!!

Steve ~~~~ We did the 9 day on the Explorer 6/30, booked it again for 7/20/07 for a 9 day and a 12 day 12/23/07. I would love to answer any questions for you!! It is an awesome ship and we had the best time.!!

oops, I missed a question you asked. Here is where our 12 day on 12/23/2007 goes:

leave Dec 23

sea

sea

San Juan

St Thomas

Roseau, Dominica

Bridgetown, Barbados

Basseterre, St. Kittts

St Johns, Antigua

sea

sea

sea

NJ on 1/4/2008

And it is out of Bayonne NJ, not NY. We are from Mass.

The port is actually in Bayonne. There have been problems in the past with people reporting that they found paint on their cars when they came back from their cruise. The paint apparently comes from an independent dry dock facility near the parking lot. Here are links to 2 threads discussing this problem.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=230845

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=369992

Some people have said that if they park there they will bring an inexpensive cover for their car.

As for the ship, it's great.

As for a 12 day cruise from New York, it's 12 days, you're cruising and you can drive to the port and you're not at work. Seems like a winner to me.

We did the 9 night Voyager cruise out of NJ last year and LOVED being able to drive to the port. Everything was very well organized as far as parking and checking in. We are leaving on the Explorer for a 5 night Bermuda cruise in 4 weeks. This will be our 2nd time on the Explorer and the ship is fabulous. Plus I believe it was last year that it was sent into drydock so it should be as good as new.

Hubby and I are on the Explorer on the 1/13/08 sailing! I have never been to NY so we plan to come a few days early to see the sights and the today show! We have an aft Balcony so it should be a nice view from the aft. We were on the Explorer in 03 we had a great time. It is a very nice ship!

Lexi

Hubby and I are on the Explorer on the 1/13/08 sailing! I have never been to NY so we plan to come a few days early to see the sights and the today show! We have an aft Balcony so it should be a nice view from the aft. We were on the Explorer in 03 we had a great time. It is a very nice ship!

Lexi

Lexi - We're also booked on the Jan 13 2008 cruise. Come join our roll call on the Meet & Mingle board. We'd love to meet you.

Thanks to all for your replies. We did our first aft cabin on Srenade last year and loved it. This cruise from NJ has some of the same ports that we so enjoyed last year.

This Jan we're on the 11 day from San Juan and we're looking foreward to that as well

Thanks again

Archived