Zuiderdam in November Stop in Turks

kellanderson

Hi Kellanderson

I am going to reply having not made a cruise stop in Grand Turk as yet....I am cruising in October.

I am quite familiar with Turks and Caicos islands however having visited them regularly.

Grand Turk is very small and there is not a whole lot there despite being the government capital of the islands. Mostly residential. The touristy island is Providenciales....too far for a day trip if arriving by cruise ship. I was surprised years ago when the planning began for a cruise terminal in Grand Turk...at the time and there just wasn't the infrastructure to entertain that many tourists and quite frankly it isn't much better now. Don't get me wrong....Turks and Caicos is quite literally my favourite place on earth....and I have travelled extensively.

My suggestion is to keep it a low key relaxed visit...go to the beach...enjoy the new terminal....stroll the island. The beaches are beautiful and the diving is great...snorkeling is not bad (we have always snorkelled off the beaches - a lot of the big reefs are labeled and protected to add to the experience as the government puts quite a bit of money into preserving these natural habitats...they know this is a big reason why people come here)

As far as private excursion companies go....there are a few that run out of Grand Turk but because there are so few they all work for the ship's excursions when they are in port....making it pretty much impossible to book something privately.

I am sure as time goes on the infrastructure will grow and there will be more available tour companies....but at this point it is still (as I like it) small and relatively quiet.

Hope my two cents worth helps. I have not been to the finished cruise terminal and am really looking forward to it...haven't been to Turks in just over a year.

• 3 weeks later...

Riz, Thanks for the info too. My daughter's future inlaw's are having a condo built there because they visited last year and fell in love with the place. Said it's the best beaches they've every been on. We're considering the dune buggy excursion. Do you think it's worth $99 a person?

vpoopsy

Archived