POH 8/21 Use of land based resort facilities?

luvmarley

We are on 8/21 sailing of POH taveling with DS and DIL and 3 mo grandson. Are there any nice resorts that they can use to have some beach time but access areas to feed and change the baby? We will have a car on all islands but Kona. We were planning to go to the Sheraton at Kaanapali Beach and maybe the Grand Wailea resort. Any others? Anyone travel with an infant? Any suggestions?

We just got back from a week at the Grand Wailea last Sunday. Some things have changed since we were last there. The one that may affect you is there is no longer self park areas available to the public (you need a room key.) You can valet park if you are going to the restaurants (and the beach). I liked Bistro Molokini for lunch, it has good food and great views of the water, and is just steps from the beach. If you don't want to go into the hotel there is public beach access right between the Grand Wailea and the Four Seasons, but I'm not sure where the parking is. There is a public parking lot down near polo beach, which is right next to the Fairmont Kai Lani, which also has a really nice outdoor cafe. (Cafe Ciao). That beach is also nice to hang out on. And as you probably expect, unless you are staying at the hotels you can't use the pools.

This week they are starting road construction on the road between Lahaina and Kihei (so on your way to Wailea, but not on your way to Kaanapali from Lahaina.) They said to expect long delays. It is expected to last through August. So leave a little time buffer.

Not too many places in Hawaii offer day passes - you will need to call the resort yourself to ask about availability. In the past, I had heard about day passes available for the Grand Wailea but then heard that either that they had done away with them or raised the prices such that they would be the same as renting a room (i.e. around $300-400/day). Please remember that hotel facilities such as the pool/loungers/cabanas are reserved for hotel guests and that visiting public may not use such facilities unless they have special permission (such as in the case of NCL with their arrangement with the Sheraton and their beach excursion to Kaanapali).

Cathy - I'm not sure geographically I understand where the construction is. So it's on Honoapiilani Highway? How was the Grand Wailea? You're the person who's been there the most recent so far and I have heard not such good things about it lately. I used to love this hotel.

Spleen

The construction is the road from the airport to Lahaina, between Maalea and Lahaina. For some reason one part is during the day and one part (not side, part) is at night, just to ensure there are no traffic free hours I guess.

There is no longer day passes at the Grand, and the price for the cheapest room, unless you are a member, is $490 a night. A cabana is an additional $200+. (And can now be reserved months in advance, so there were none available at the activity pool while we were there.)

Since we were last there 18 months ago the management company has again changed. Now it is run by Hilton as part of the Waldof Astoria group. They have made many small changes, some good, some not so good. On the pool/ beach front (since seriously, do people stay there and not use the pool...)They got rid of the hammocks on the beach and the last of the swings in the gazebos around the grounds. On the good side, they are piece by piece replacing the pool decking around the activity pool, and have installed thatched umbrellas around to get a bit more free shade. They also have stepped back from the strick height limit on the slides, if your child is smaller, but can pass a swim test, they can go on the big slides. Around the activity pool they also now pass out free popscicles around 4pm, and actually clear off chairs that haven't been used in awhile, so there are always chairs available. The activity pool area was much cleaner than I'd seen it in the summer, so I think they do a bit more trash pickup than before. The menu around the pool also added many grill items, but still is slow at lunchtime.

The grounds and facilities themselves seem in good repair, they have not let them go. They have replaced all the seating in the Napuaa club (which means they no longer serve chocolate croissants for breakfast, but replaced them with other tasty pastries.) The housekeeping staff hasn't gotten any worse, and in some ways is better. They got to my room for regular service everyday several hours before turn down service. The conceirges on the concerige floors (Napuaa tower) are again excellent in getting reservations and tracking stuff down. After Tracey left a few years back they hit a slump, but now they again seem to know everything. The food in the conceirge lounge improved. The valets were very fast, the bell folks also were very prompt. I remember last year I marked down both those departments. The food in Kincha, the Main dining room (and evening buffet!) and Molokini Bistro was very good. So overall, I think it may be looking up.

It will never match the service and spendor of it's height, when the Japanese businessman who built it took it back from Hyatt and managed it himself. The service back then made Four Seasons look inattentive. The details were amazing, from the flags on the deck chairs to signal service, to the braids in all the waitresses hair, to the fresh flowers on every side table, at every elevator entrance, in every hallway. I remember the waiters bringing my four year old birthday cake for breakfast, because she told them she wouldn't be four until she blew out her candles. I remember the kids club giving her a balloon bouquet for her birthday, and then replacing it when it blew away as she walked to her room. I remember macadamia chocolates on our pillows everynight, and the main dining room actually used for moonlight romantic dinners. I remember the Kula cafe being innovative spa cuisine to compliment their state of the art spa (which is still one of the most amazing spas anywhere.) But I also know, back then the hotel was losing money with every customer. I still think it's an amazing hotel, there are others with better service, but just the facilities and location are hard to beat.

Cathy - thank you for the very detailed review! It's good to hear that some changes for the better are taking place. I agree that the spa there is one of the best I have ever visited in terms of facilities. I remember those chocolate croissants! (we got upgraded to club level on one visit). We've got our kama'aina discount so our room rates are *slightly* lower than yours. :)

Spleen

Remember that all beaches in Hawaii are public beaches, however that doesn't allow you to use hotel pools. When in Maui, we did the NCLA excursion that uses the beach at Whaler's Village in front of the Sheraton. We were given beach chairs with our excursion and allowed to use the Sheraton's restrooms. Also, the Sheraton has eating places outside that you can use, you just can't use their pool. At Kona, we did the NCLA beach excursion too. It came with beach lounge chairs, lunch and fun things like snorkle equipment, water bikes, boogie boards, etc. It was also on hotel property so we could use their facilities, but no pool. Both beaches also had shops and other places to eat. If I had to pick one beach excursion over the other, I'd do the one in Maui because the sand is softer and there were better waves for boggie boarding. The beach in Kona was called "salt and pepper" because of the lava rocks. The Kona excursion cost more, but you got more. Many of the bigger beaches have facilities and chair rentals for the public. I used a Fromers' book Hawaii with Children and that gave great descriptions and maps of Hawaii's beaches.

Jfeasel: The section of Ka'anapali beach that fronts the Sheraton is called Black Rock (which is also a popular snorkeling spot). Whaler's Village is a shopping/dining center with public parking. It is about 3 or 4 resorts down the beach from the Sheraton. Just wanted to clarify so there would be no confusion.

Sounds like you had a good time and that's always good to hear.

beachchick

Archived